Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are you affectionate with your kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Growing up my parents were always very standoffish and seldom ever hugged me, much less gave me a kiss. I saw other kids with their parents, however, being showered with affection at games, competitions, etc., and I was always jealous of that.

Since I've had my own kids, I've made sure they are always given hugs and kisses and told how much I love them and how proud I am of them every day. My parents still don't get it, though, and my kids are usually kept at arm's length whenever they visit.

Are you affectionate with your kids? Were/are your parents affectionate with you?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM
I love to hug and kiss. So we are very affectionate.
DensHag
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Yes and my kids are grown and we still are! My 22 yo DD just gave me a kiss before she left for work. My parents are actually more affectionate now because my kids will go hug and kiss on them. My 19 yo DD has to be sitting tight up on me still! I love it!
Allissa
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:59 PM
My parents weren't that affectionate. I give my kids as many hugs and "I love yous" as possible.
pippi311
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I don't understand how parents can NOT be affectionate with their children. If I let myself hug and kiss them every  time I wanted to, I'd never do anything else and they'd hate it!

Bonnie_
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Yes.  My  DD  will still  come  up  to me  for hugs  and  if  I   try to break  before  she  gets  her  'hug fix'  she won't  let me  go.   I always  gave  my  kids  lots  of  hugs and kisses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Hugged parents and hug our kids. Even now that they are adults. Don't have kids if you don't want to hug them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I hug and kiss my toddler all the time, she loves it. My oldest...not so much. She'll let me hug her before bed every night, but otherwise she's not big on mom "cramping her style".

teensrmyworld
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I am SUPER affectionate with my children.  I hug and kiss them everyday (they are 18 and 16) I ruffle their hair, tug at their earlobes, tell them I love them and ask about their day and what they are up to.  They both will still curl up with me on the couch and fall alseep with their head on my shoulder.  I am also Oma (other momma) to a 17 year old who was never and I mean never shown any affection until he met us.  He would shake from head to toe with anxiety whenever someone would try to even touch his arm.  He was not hit, he was neglected and that neglect turned into fear that he could never be loved.  Since being adopted into our family, he has absolutely blossomed and smiles constantly.  He also has achieved his huge goals of getting into a good college and is looking forward to working this summer.  Love and affection are as necessary as the air we breathe and the water we drink, give your love away and it will return to you 100 fold!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Yes very affectionate my parents were with me growing up my mom still tells me she loves me after we talk on the phone I am very affectionate with my child and seeing how dh is affectionate with our child too.

ChangingLanes
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Yes & yes...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN