Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are you affectionate with your kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Growing up my parents were always very standoffish and seldom ever hugged me, much less gave me a kiss. I saw other kids with their parents, however, being showered with affection at games, competitions, etc., and I was always jealous of that.

Since I've had my own kids, I've made sure they are always given hugs and kisses and told how much I love them and how proud I am of them every day. My parents still don't get it, though, and my kids are usually kept at arm's length whenever they visit.

Are you affectionate with your kids? Were/are your parents affectionate with you?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 20, 2014 at 3:10 AM

I'm trying to be more affeectionate intentionally. I guess I didn't spend enough time with my kids and didn't get to bond well with them. Possibly because I just thought of them as their daddys girls. My 3rd and 4th I'm really close and affectionate with, so I'm intentionally making sure I say I love you and hugging my girls every day

LeKendria
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 6:26 AM
Very much so. My husband sometimes gets jealous. He didn't have that as a child.
Mom2Demonz
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I had one of those old-school, country family upbringings, with lots of extended family involved. There were hugs, kisses, "I love you's" and all that other wonderful stuff. I raised my kids the same way. Now that they're adults, they still have no trouble showing this same affection to family members, and I know they will raise their kids the same way.

nichole_erin
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM
I'm overly affectionate with dd. As is dh, we smother her in hugs and kisses and we tell her we love her several times a day. Neither of us had affectionate parents growing up.
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Yes, my parents were affectionate and loving, and yes, we are affectionate and loving with one another and with our DD.

Mrs.Gallegos649
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM
My parents were affectionate with us as kids, but I had some really rough teenage years and the affection stopped for a long time. It didn't really come back until I was an adult, married with kids of my own. We are very affectionate with our children. Late of hugging and kissing and saying I love u, and just being overall close. I believe kids need that. It makes them feel safe, and appreciated.
bhow
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Yes they were and yes we are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I can't imagine not being affectionate with our son. My parents were always affectionate with me and my sister. 

shalynoel
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I'm super affectionate with my son. I love that kid more than anything in this world. I grew up with a dad that wasn't affectionate but a mom that tried to be. I was more standoffish and didn' tlike to be bothered as a child. My son is 5 and loves to snuggle and hug. As long as he'll let me do it, I'll let him! Eventually, he'll get to old and will leave his old mama to snuggle alone! haha

ambcortez
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I didn't have affectionate parents either, but I'm very affectionate towards my own kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)