Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Different wedding invitation

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM
  • 70 Replies
2 moms liked this

We just received a wedding invitation. I knew it was coming because they sent out a notice late last year. The couple have been living together for quite some time and I was considering giving them money because they probably have everything. In their invitation they included a poem which asked in an indirect way for the gift of money for their honeymoon. Tacky or not?

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:47 PM
I would think that is really tacky the way they asked for it.
Connie04
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:06 AM
I am kind of on the fence about it. On one hand, it would be a waste for people to buy them stuff they already have. On the other, I don't think anyone should request what type of gift they want.

Quoting auntangelofsix: I would think that is really tacky the way they asked for it.
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM
13 moms liked this
Any request for a gift, no matter how indirect, is ill-mannered
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I am sure you are.true too and yeah I agree withyou on the buying something that they might already have and all too.

Quoting Connie04: I am kind of on the fence about it. On one hand, it would be a waste for people to buy them stuff they already have. On the other, I don't think anyone should request what type of gift they want.

Quoting auntangelofsix: I would think that is really tacky the way they asked for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Probably the best way to go. Nothing worse than shopping around for a wedding gift. They mighten like it anyway. So i'll donate cash and be done with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Super tacky.
Connie04
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Definitely.

Quoting Roo1234: Any request for a gift, no matter how indirect, is ill-mannered
Connie04
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Yes. Even though it makes sense to give them money, I think it is tacky to ask for it.

Quoting Anonymous: Super tacky.
Connie04
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM
I think it is the way to go, too. I find it a little irritating, though, that they are requesting it.

Quoting Anonymous: Probably the best way to go. Nothing worse than shopping around for a wedding gift. They mighten like it anyway. So i'll donate cash and be done with it.
contrarymary7
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM

You know, everything is 'looked' at so differently these days. What was terrible when I was a young adult...is accepted as almost 'normal'. When I was in high school, one did not walk down the aisle pregnant. Today it is done and noone seems to notice it. So yes, it smacks of Tacky...however with all of the diffrent 'things' that are accepted today...they probably figured, Why not? I personally could not do it

Where I live, there is something that is done...it's a 'Money Dance' The guests give the bride and groom money to dance with them. It's usually pinned to their clothes. They sometimes collect quite a bit. .  

why not?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)