Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do if your child got a splinter at school? Would you sue?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Parents Sue School for Letting 7-Year-Old Get a Splinter

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

wood bench'What would you do if your child sat on a wooden bench at school and got a splinter in his or her behind? If you're like most parents, you'd probably get out the tweezers, go to work, and give your child a lollipop for being such a good patient.

Not every parent shares this philosophy.

After a 7-year-old boy, who's now 11, got a splinter in his bum from a bench at school, his parents sued. As in, they took legal action over a splinter. A court in Croyden, England, where the "incident" took place, awarded the boy almost $5,000 after they were told that the injury was going to leave a permanent scar.

Other parents at the school are, understandably, flabbergasted at the family's decision to sue. "All of the mums have been laughing about it. It is such a joke. How can they say it is the school’s fault and sue them because he got a splinter on his bum?" one mother said. A single father added, "If my son got a splinter in his backside, I would just laugh it off and get the tweezers."

Now, clearly, it was the parents' idea to sue the school and not their 7-year-old son's. And that makes me a little sad. What are these parents teaching their child about the world and how to deal with it? I don't consider myself a member of the "kids need to toughen up" society, and I'm sure I'd coddle my child were they to come home with a splinter in their butt. But suing? That's sending a really warped message. It's sending a message of "nothing is your fault in this world, and money solves everything."

Splinters are a part of growing up. They're not fun, but they're a rite of passage. When I was about 4 or 5, I fell at a neighbor's house, getting about nine splinters in my hand. My parents and the neighbors took me to the doctor to get them removed. Know what I remember most about the day? The bright light that was shone on my hand when I was on the doctor's table and going out for ice cream after. Know what I learned? To be more careful. And that mint-chip is awesome.

Sadly, it's the culture we live in, but if parents up and sue every time something minuscule happens to their children, their children aren't learning much and are getting a distorted version of what the real world is. This boy's parents all but outright said to their son, "When unpleasant things happen, simply hire someone to place the blame on someone else and hope to get a monetary reward."

We may live in a sue-happy culture, but that's certainly not how the majority of us live. And if it ever becomes that way because of parents like this, god help us all.

What would you do if your child got a splinter at school? What do you think of these parents' reaction?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanaG70
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM
7 moms liked this

5,000 for a scar on his behind???

I want 5,000 for every stretch mark I have...!

nikki4eva88
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM
What would I do? Not a thing! Take the splinter out and move on!
MrsKing0511
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm sorry, but what kind of splinter leaves a scar? Were the chair wooden, and un suitable to be sat on in the first place? They would have to be for a "SPLINTER" to stab through a childs pants, and leave a scar on his ass. I mean come on people, do you even think about these things?

JoanahLee
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Thats absurd. I feel sorry for the life that kid is being raised in.  Seriously stupid school-suing-mother: 

My kids have to play on over sanatized, dummbed down playground "equipment" so that there is no danger of anyone smashing a finger, getting a splinter or bonking their poor precious noggin. 

Memere60
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Never. My daughter fell off the monkey bars when she was in the second grade. She hurt her shoulder, but didn't break it or anything. The teacher was in tears, saying she felt horrible about it. I just told her that no one can see in advance what is going to happen, and not to worry about it. I would never sue over something unless it was so awful, and I couldn't get  an acceptable response from the school (but not for a splinter !). Oone of the things about this situation is that no one is going to have this kid over to play, because everyone is going to be afraid they will get sued if something happens.

Octobersmom
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

How big was the piece of wood that it can leave a scar!?  I'm not usually sue happy but that sounds like a very large splinter and the school should have noticed that it was in that bad of shape.

MrsKing0511
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

That's what I am saying. I read into it just a little more, and it said it took a month to heal. So I am guessing it was a pretty large piece of wood that did it, not a little ' splinter '. This is ommiting informtion, or shaping it to get only parts of the story for the reaction they wanted. What if this bench had large piece of wood, with rot in them? What if an infection was caused, and that is why it took a month to heal, and left a scar? The school should have removed something unsafe? Trying to save a buck cost them $5000. This isn't a child messing around and getting hurt on accident. Not pumping your head on the monkey bars. If my child got a splinter, I wouldn't sue. If a torn up bench was left around a bunch of 7 year olds to play on, and it ended up in an infected wound that caused my child pain for a month, and left a scar, I would be pissed. What if some how a piece had come off, and gotten lodged in some poor childs eyeball and caused blindness? People really need to look into things before they hop on the bandwagon. This is EXACTLY why half the stupid stuff that goes on in this world does. Too lazy to look at both sides.

Quoting Octobersmom:

How big was the piece of wood that it can leave a scar!?  I'm not usually sue happy but that sounds like a very large splinter and the school should have noticed that it was in that bad of shape.

That's what

dusty_707
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

right? me too.. id be rolling in the dough.. people are so stupid  now a days!!

Quoting DanaG70:

CafeMom Tickers

kiwiskiwi29
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

No I would not sue over a splinter. You've got to be kidding me.

CBMMOM
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Who would you sue to get that money?

Quoting DanaG70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN