Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you buy this?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM
  • 172 Replies

My oldest son (turning 12 next week) is horible on shoes.  

In December we bought all 4 kids new shoes. 2 of them are still wearing the same shoes, one has outgrown hers so she just got new ones, the oldest though, got new shoes again in January and again 3 week ago because he wears them out like crazy!  The kid drags his toes when he's turning corners on his bike.  He is lucky to get 2 months out of a pair of shoes.  (we usually shop the clearance at Sketchers but it's still at least $30 a pair!) 

I'm sick of it!  He rips holes in the toes dragging his feet then he picks at it (I cought him doing it the other day) essentially ripping holes in his toes.  So, today he went to school with his toes poking out of his new shoes he got 3 weeks ago...

His dad feel like we (as parents) "look bad" if our kid goes to school with bad shoes and was mad at me last night when I told him that we're not buying another pair of shoes till school is out (3 months from the time of purchase).  

I just don't know what to do with him!  It's not like we can't afford the $30 for shoes, I just feel he's being wasteful and he needs to learn to be responsible with what we work hard to buy for him...  He doesn't care and even told us he doesn't care if his shoes have holes or not (which just tells me that if we buy shoes again, next month it'll be the same problem...)  

What would you do?  Would you buy shoes or let him wear them with holes?  Am I being too harsh on him (Honestly, I would put duct tape on them and call it good!) 

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM
16 moms liked this

Take his bike away

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I'd go to Payless and start getting on his case about walking properly.
My sister had poor muscle tone in her legs and had no arch in one of her feet. She was constantly being reminded to walk heel toe for her entire childhood. Just keep reminding the kid to walk properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brehi
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:25 PM
17 moms liked this

Buy him a pair of shoes for school and for school only. Let him wear the holey ones outside of school.Why wait until school is out to buy a pair? I'd rather send my kids to school in decent shoes rather than wait and buy him a decent pair for the summer that will get holes in them.I would also buy him decent looking shoes from a thrift store until he appreciates them more.

smorgan865
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM
12 moms liked this
School shoes and separate play shoes (cheap ones).
ashemry
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM
13 moms liked this
If he's just destroying his shoes then I would buy the cheapest why waste money on sketchers when he is just going to destroy them. If it was me i would take him to walmart get cheap shoes until he can learn responsibility.
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I would never send my kid to school in shoes with holes. I would take his bike away.

Ultra_
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with you. I actually went through the same thing and did the same thing with my girls. I bought six pairs of shoes in six weeks until I realized what was happening. So I told them I wasn't buying them new shoes anymore. That they needed to learn responsibility for their actions and to take care and appreciate what is given to them, regardless of price. That was last year at the beginning of the year. I didn't buy them new shoes until the season changed and reminded them that if these were ruined soon, they wouldn't get new ones. I kept doing that since then and it seems to work
kceron
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM
9 moms liked this

I got this idea from a friend.

I told him that this week we will go buy new shoes, BUT I will put the date on them and if he rips them I will buy his next pair of shoes and I will pick out the ugliest pair I can find, and if the rips those the next shoes will get uglier, until he learns to respect his things.  Right now I'm shooting for his shoes to last 3 months (I don't think that's too hard for a 12 year old...) and hopefully by next summer we can go the 6 months till he outgrows his shoes. 

He agrees that it will be an acceptable punnishment considering he does it on purpose. (and as of right now we always let him pick out what we buy, with a dollar limit of course.) 

So, hopefully problem solved.  I know he doesn't want to go to school in neon pink! :p

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM
This

Quoting Amybelle:

Take his bike away

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:30 PM
2 moms liked this
That is a great ideA.you could also make the new shoes off limits for bike riding and make hime wear the old ones for it. Slap alittle duct tape on them

Quoting kceron:

I got this idea from a friend.

I told him that this week we will go buy new shoes, BUT I will put the date on them and if he rips them I will buy his next pair of shoes and I will pick out the ugliest pair I can find, and if the rips those the next shoes will get uglier, until he learns to respect his things.  Right now I'm shooting for his shoes to last 3 months (I don't think that's too hard for a 12 year old...) and hopefully by next summer we can go the 6 months till he outgrows his shoes. 

He agrees that it will be an acceptable punnishment considering he does it on purpose. (and as of right now we always let him pick out what we buy, with a dollar limit of course.) 

So, hopefully problem solved.  I know he doesn't want to go to school in neon pink! :p

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)