Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Dd is "exploring" ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
I know it's normal for a 4 yo explore and discover her body, but it really creeps me out and makes me feel uncomfortable! I want her to be comfortable with her body of course, but I always get up tight when I catch her with her hand between her legs, straddling the couch etc. She loves to run around naked and while I'm ok with it sometimes we live with my parents and she thinks it's funny if my dad sees her butt. I try to talk to her about it but of course with a 4 yo it goes in one ear and out the other. Any advice on how I can calm down about it?

ETA in replies on the 2nd page!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't understand why parents let their kids run around naked. They touch themselves then touch furniture or the tv remote or food, it's just disgusting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Let me clarify. When she gets out the tub I let her air dry for a few minutes. And I don't think that's disgusting at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

I personally don't understand why parents let their kids run around naked. They touch themselves then touch furniture or the tv remote or food, it's just disgusting.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I let my four year old do that too, but she doesn't do any of those things. I think the weirdest thing she does is sit at her table to play with her puzzles and forgets she's naked.

Quoting Anonymous: Let me clarify. When she gets out the tub I let her air dry for a few minutes. And I don't think that's disgusting at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Lol!! Aw that's cute! But I'm worried it's not normal. I want to talk to her pediatrician about it, but I get flustered just thinking about it, let alone talking about (hence why I'm anon lol)

Quoting polkaspots: I let my four year old do that too, but she doesn't do any of those things. I think the weirdest thing she does is sit at her table to play with her puzzles and forgets she's naked.

Quoting Anonymous: Let me clarify. When she gets out the tub I let her air dry for a few minutes. And I don't think that's disgusting at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:43 PM
It doesn't sounds that weird, like it doesn't seem like a sign of something. The running around and being amused by people seeing her butt is normal because she knows she's supposed to wear clothing, but the straddling and touching is weird. I'd encourage her to not do that anymore.

Quoting Anonymous: Lol!! Aw that's cute! But I'm worried it's not normal. I want to talk to her pediatrician about it, but I get flustered just thinking about it, let alone talking about (hence why I'm anon lol)

Quoting polkaspots: I let my four year old do that too, but she doesn't do any of those things. I think the weirdest thing she does is sit at her table to play with her puzzles and forgets she's naked.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oosadeoo
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Not trying to scare you but a child touching themselves is a sign that they are being sexually abused. This may not be the case but just wanted to let you know because I see someone above said that it's not a sign of something when in reality it is one the first signs of something is going on. If it gets more and more weird I'd take her to be seen by someone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Tell her to do it in private in her room. Very normal. Stop the nakedness.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM
My 5 year old niece began touching herself and getting sores on her private. We all thought that the sores were from her touching down there with unclean hands. Nope. She was being sexually molested by my sisters boyfriend. You are a saint for leaving that comment. I hope OP reads and starts keeping a closer eye on her daughter. It all seems like innocent exploring fun and games until reality hits. But a four year old doesn't just wake up wanting to play with themselves on a regular basis. Usually someone is teaching them how to. Children are mocking birds.

Quoting oosadeoo: Not trying to scare you but a child touching themselves is a sign that they are being sexually abused. This may not be the case but just wanted to let you know because I see someone above said that it's not a sign of something when in reality it is one the first signs of something is going on. If it gets more and more weird I'd take her to be seen by someone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM

If it is becoming obsessive, I would call her Dr.  While it's normal to an extent being preoccupied with the activity is not normal.  Using external means at that age is definitely a red flag!

Running around naked is also not appropriate for that age.  She should learn that her body should be respected and that she cannot let everyone in the house see her private parts.  Tell her that her nudity is a private matter.  Remind her that when she is running around naked it is NOT funny and that behavior will be punishable.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Children are born with all the same physical sensations as an adult. It is normal for them to explore that. I would start teaching her that she needs to do those things in private and make her go to her room. At 4, she is old enough to start learning about modesty and she can air dry in a private place. It's not about being embarassed about her body, it's about teaching respect for others. Not everyone is going to think a naked 4 yo is cute. It's also a great way to lead into talking about appropriate touching. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)