Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I'm sorry but hitting your kids DOES NOT equal well behaved children!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 25 Replies
I'm so damn sick of living in this hillbilly town where parents are in favor of corporal punishment in school! I'm constantly hearing about how kids need to be paddled and spanked. Yes I have swatted my son on the butt before. I'm not saying a butt swat is never warranted but show me scientific proof that spanking equals good behavior. What about all these kids I see every day that I'm sure got or get spanked regularly that are in trouble every day at school. The ones in d-hall, suspension or worse. Why didn't it work on them?
None of us are perfect parents but if we are doing it right then kids wouldn't act the way some of them do. We have a 12 yr old, who yes has that girl tween attitude but she's also a straight A student who loves to read and volunteer and I never spanked her. Explain that one.
I'm just sitting here at work holding my tongue listening to all my co workers talk about "busting their kids butts", and they STILL misbehave! Obviously it isn't working!!!!!
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vamp
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think anybody but the parents can decide if a spank is necessary at any given time.

Nobody but me would be touching any of my kids with out having their throats pulled out by a very angry mom.

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM
It is shocking to me that any parent would allow anyone to hit their child.
We teach kids not to hit and then people let strangers hit them. Yeah that makes sense

Quoting Vamp:

I don't think anybody but the parents can decide if a spank is necessary at any given time.

Nobody but me would be touching any of my kids with out having their throats pulled out by a very angry mom.

Vamp
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Yes I totally agree, I barely do it myself, taking stuff away works much better.

Quoting momofthem311: It is shocking to me that any parent would allow anyone to hit their child. We teach kids not to hit and then people let strangers hit them. Yeah that makes sense
Quoting Vamp:

orchardmoma
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I've got a 26, 23, and an 18 year old that I never had to spank. Taking privileges away, adding chores worked for them. We had clear and direct house rules and I left room for negotiation. I think it boils down to great communication, and respect on both sides. I always allowed my kids to voice their opinion and always validated that opinion even if I didn't agree with it. We also had fun, been silly, laughed at eachother a lot! Had family dinner times every night. 

TheScaryOne
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM
3 moms liked this
No one way works for everyone and that's something both sides of this debate needs to realize. I honestly don't care whether or not you spank as long as your child is behaved. I think there are some who don't spank who should and some who do that shouldn't. And both sides are often too stubborn to change and quick to judge based on limited information. Don't blame a parenting method, blame the parent who won't change when it obviously isn't working. I think most people could use a bit more flexibility in the way they parent and/or the way they view another version of parenting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM

clapping

You took the words right out of my mouth. Different methods work for different kids and different parents.

Quoting TheScaryOne: No one way works for everyone and that's something both sides of this debate needs to realize. I honestly don't care whether or not you spank as long as your child is behaved. I think there are some who don't spank who should and some who do that shouldn't. And both sides are often too stubborn to change and quick to judge based on limited information. Don't blame a parenting method, blame the parent who won't change when it obviously isn't working. I think most people could use a bit more flexibility in the way they parent and/or the way they view another version of parenting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

At least they are TRYING to discipline, if you don't want the school to spank YOUR kid, maybe there's a form or something you can sign.

I grew up, knowing my mom (or my grandpa) would spank me if i misbehaved (which was not often, i remember less then a handful of times she actually did). I was one of those kids that would stop doing/wouldn't do whatever if i got "the look", some refer to it as the evil eye.

I'm not emotionally scarred from it, i think the last time i got the belt i was 13 or 14.

We didn't do coporal punishment at my school, though there are still schools in my state that i know still do. If i had gotten in trouble at school or acted bad in public (which again was rare) or at someone's house i would get in three times as much trouble for (1) acting up in public, (2) THINKING i could act up in public/around others because my mom wasn't there, (3) making my mom/family look bad like they didn't teach me any better.

Not all families are like that (or like yours), some kids DON'T get any kind of discipline at home. When they act up in school, their parents don't care. Kids act up in school and teachers/principals get no support from the parents, what are they suppose to do? Is it right to make the other kids suffer because little Tommy is a distraction and a brat because his parents don't care OR should the school make an effort to keep things orderly/under control?

EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Because  for one spanking shows your kid that violence is how to settle problems and two it reveals lazy parents who can't be bothered to find other ways to discipline.  I know someone who spanked (with a belt even) and 2 of her four kids have been in prison. and one has been in jail.  Hitting your kids is not the way to raise them up right.  My daughter was never spanked and she never caused ANY trouble and I really mean that.  NONE. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

MANY forms of discipline does not mean they will be well behaved.  Way too many kids are brats in the worst way these days. 

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Different kids respond to different things. Where one kid could get a stern talking to and be straightened out lickity split, another kid my require a swat on the butt, grounded, nose in a corner or whatever else happens to work for them. Like my daughter, I will swat her butt on occasion if she really messes up. What she REALLY hates and responds best to, however, is being put in time out. She is almost 5. Put her in time out, take away her movie for the day and she is an Angel for a while! lol 
As a kid, I responded best to being spanked. I couldn't stand it. It was the worst punishment ever to me! My brothers though, they would look at my parents like they were nuts. Nothing really worked with them though. They were naughty. LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN