Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

no rent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies

We are sooo broke.  I do not know what to do.  My DH just got paid today and we can't even cover rent.  All our bills are due right now - utilities, car payments. 

I can ask for help and I know where that is not my problem.  The problem is I do not want to have to ask for help again. 

My wuestions - Does anyone know how to make money from home?  I have seen some jobs but my kids have to still be babysat.  I need to make my own hours and if i need to go anywhere my kids need to be able to come with. 

I was thinking of getting a real estate license and working from home for that, but I don't have any sales skills at all. 

Any ideas?  I really need to get extra income to cover our expenses - just to eat!!!  HELP!!! 

Just to add - extra income is our only option unless I ask for help every month.  We don't qulify for any goverment assistance.  We live in the cheapest place we can find in our location.  There is nothing that I can cut out of our budget.  We never get to do anything fun because we have nothing left over EVER!!! 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Get help for this month and take that time to get a job. Uhaul lets you answer phones from home. How do you not qualify for assistance if your husbands income doesn't even cover rent?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM
7 moms liked this

Real estate would not be a good option for you if you need for your kids to come with you.  You have to do a lot of meeting with clients, showing houses, etc. and it would be very unprofessional to do any of that with kids.

My suggestions would be:

Babysitting another couple of kids.  Check the laws in your area, but in most places you can watch up to 3 or 4 (in addition to your own) without having to be licensed.  Just make sure the parents know that you will need to transport their child and that you have proper car seats for everyone.

You could also clean houses.  Just be upfront with your clients that you'd need to bring your kids with you.  Bring a pack and play for any toddlers and make sure they are well behaved and stay in the one area where you put them.  Just know that you will be responsible if they break something, so you'll really have to make them behave.

You might also try assisting a few elderly people.  Run their errands, do their housework, etc. sometimes family member need someone to just kind of check in on a loved one and help them with the day to day.  If your kids are well behaved, it would likely be OK for you to bring them.  (Often times older people love the company).

My last suggestion is the one that will actually make you the most money.  Pick up a few waitressing shifts opposite of your DHs schedule.  You will make more in just a few shifts of waitressing than you'd make all week doing something else.  Yes, it would stink that you'd hardly see your husband, but it beats being homeless.

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Sell stuff online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont have any ideas about working from home, however, can you call your electric company, water company, etc (any of the bills that are due) and say, "all of our bills are due at the same time. Is there any way we can set up a plan where I change my due date?" Most of the time, (not for the month they're due, but for the future months) they'll adjust it to where it's more spread out.
For instance, I got a new vehicle-my car payment is 388 a month. I usually pay 400. My husbands car payment is 475, and I usually pay 500. They were both due on the 1st. I called and asked to switch my husbands to two weeks later. Usually, you can only do it once, but at least you'd be able to figure out the days y'all get paid and sync them to your bills.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM

If your DHs income doesn't cover your rent, you WILL qualify for assistance.  

Ask for help this month so you don't add on additional late fees, reconnect charges, etc. But you are going to have to find a long term solution.  You may have to take a job with opposite hours from your DH.  Convenience stores hire for overnight hours.  Lots of custodial companies hire overnight hours because that's when they clean office buildings.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM

because it is the stupid government looking at gross instead of net income and they don't look at needed expenses and add it up.  If we did actually bring home my DH  gross we would be more than ok.  We are just sort a little every month and it adds up. 

Normally his checks are fine covering rent, but it has backed up since March to the point that we are so fr behind.  I know that next month we will be ok - he has an extra bonus check.

Getting a job somewhere is fine as long as my kids can come with.  No one will pay me enough to cover daycare/babysitter costs.  We have no family real close - closest is 2 hours away and they all work too.  It would cost me $84/day - 2 kids at $42/day.  and they would also have to hire me so I can go pick them up by 5 and M-F only. 

DH schedule is chaotic, so working around his schedule is just as difficult. 

Quoting Anonymous: Get help for this month and take that time to get a job. Uhaul lets you answer phones from home. How do you not qualify for assistance if your husbands income doesn't even cover rent?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

we WONT qualify for assistance until the goverbment looks at NET income instead of GROSS income. 

DH schedule is crazy.  he switches from nights to days constantly.  He has one week off a month and one week that he works 6 days.  It is really difficult to find someone to work around that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If your DHs income doesn't cover your rent, you WILL qualify for assistance.  

Ask for help this month so you don't add on additional late fees, reconnect charges, etc. But you are going to have to find a long term solution.  You may have to take a job with opposite hours from your DH.  Convenience stores hire for overnight hours.  Lots of custodial companies hire overnight hours because that's when they clean office buildings.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Like I said, check into uhaul. 2 of my cousins work for them from home. Also look into working at a daycare center. They pay you and your kids can be there for free or for a reduced fee.

Quoting Anonymous:

because it is the stupid government looking at gross instead of net income and they don't look at needed expenses and add it up.  If we did actually bring home my DH  gross we would be more than ok.  We are just sort a little every month and it adds up. 

Normally his checks are fine covering rent, but it has backed up since March to the point that we are so fr behind.  I know that next month we will be ok - he has an extra bonus check.

Getting a job somewhere is fine as long as my kids can come with.  No one will pay me enough to cover daycare/babysitter costs.  We have no family real close - closest is 2 hours away and they all work too.  It would cost me $84/day - 2 kids at $42/day.  and they would also have to hire me so I can go pick them up by 5 and M-F only. 

DH schedule is chaotic, so working around his schedule is just as difficult. 

Quoting Anonymous: Get help for this month and take that time to get a job. Uhaul lets you answer phones from home. How do you not qualify for assistance if your husbands income doesn't even cover rent?

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM

You guys should've planned better and remembered that rent comes before car notes, before anything else (except food). You really need to pound that pavement and take any type of job you can get. Also get some public assistance to help out with food and other things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this
If you can't cover rent and other bills with your Dh's income, and you still don't qualify for assistance, you are living beyond your means.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN