Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Baby Showers for Dads??

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM
  • 6 Replies

Baby Showers for Dads? Hell, Yeah!

by Maressa Brown

dad-to-be holding up onesiesThe term "man shower" probably brings to mind ... well, anything but a bunch of guys sitting around toasting one dad-to-be with beer-diaper cakes and Stroller Olympics. But that's exactly the trend growing on Pinterest! Yep, future dads are being thrown their very own baby showers or "dadchelor" parties.

Of course the get-togethers -- during which dudes may be encouraged to perhaps eat BBQ and drink beer out of baby bottles while the guest of honor is referred to as "the man behind the bump" -- are typically planned by the mamas-to-be. But apparently guys themselves are coming around to the tradition, enjoying being feted by their friends before becoming fathers. Hey, who's to say this isn't something that we shouldn't have been doing all along?!

It's taken us so long, but we're finally at a point with modern parenting where dads are assumed to be really involved with labor and everything that comes after related to raising their kids. There are more and more stay-at-home dads.

Really, we're years away from those Leave It to Beaver days where a breadwinner pop's contributions to parenting were limited to after work and on weekends -- maybe. For many men, fatherhood is no longer a part-time gig. So why shouldn't expectant dads be celebrated in the very same way as expectant moms?

Furthermore, man showers only stand to improve on society's increasingly healthier attitude toward dads being hands-on. Any trend that encourages guys to get excited -- as opposed to the stale stereotype of them being totally freaked out -- to become dads should flourish. Plus, ultimately, you can't threaten a guy with a good time -- even if it means being gifted with diapers galore!

What do you think about man showers? Have you thrown one for your guy -- or would you?

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Ricksmama
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Okay we do our baby showers unisex for the couple both parents attend. And it's really fun to see the happy daddy's faces.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Just another way to mooch presents.  I don't agree.  Just like I don't agree to have showers for subsquent babies.  You can celebrate a 2nd or 3rd after they are born but showers are to get you started with the first. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Co-ed showers are the best way to celebrate new baby with everyone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Hubby had a diaper party. Everyone brought diapers and wipes, drank beer, ate hot dogs and watched the game :)
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:47 AM

No but it's different these days. 2 of my sons buddies through them one but it was a very simple get together. The guys bought a keg and the only gifts were packs of diapers! LOL Great idea...when my twins were finally potty trained it felt like we'd paid off a car loan.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM

All our showers are unisex and kid friendly.  However, for a gay couple or a single dad I see no issues with this what so ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN