Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

10 Most Important Don'ts in Parenting

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
2 moms liked this

10 Most Important Don'ts in Parenting

by Jill Smokler

A good friend of mine is expecting her first child any day. For her baby shower last month, the attendees were asked to jot down a few pieces of advice to pass on to the mom-to-be. Most women came up with great reminders of things to do -- take pictures, keep a baby book, take vacations, etc. -- but when I got home, it dawned on me that the most important things I've learned about parenthood have been the don'ts. Don'ts like these ...

1. Never claim -- or even believe -- that you have mastered parenting. Once you do, you will inevitably be proven wrong by the universe.

2. Never judge another parent's parenting. You've never parented their kid and they'll never parent yours.

3. Never let another parent make you feel badly about your parenting. See above.

4. Never sweat the small stuff. The messy playroom, the mismatched outfit, the Lunchable you had to pack that day you were in a rush ... at the end of the day, none of it really matters.

5. Never stop buying baby wipes. You'll use them long after you've stopped cleaning dirty diapers.

6. Never lose your sense of humor. It's the only thing keeping you (somewhat) sane.

7. Never let mom guilt get the best of you. You're doing the best you can, and that's all you can do.

8. Never say never. Because you just might find yourself alone at Disney World with three kids under 6 longing for a leash for your youngest.

9. Never stress about silly milestones. Your kid most likely won't head to kindergarten wearing diapers and sucking on a pacifier.

10. No matter how long and trying the day, never go to bed without telling your kid you love them.

Add your wisdom to the list -- what else should parents never do?

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sandiekd21
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I love this list.

And #10- I was a night school student and my kids were long in bed when I got home. I still went into their rooms and gave them all kisses and whispered my love to them.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Never have a role you need them to fill.  If you always wanted a baseball player, thats great, but they may like a different sport, or none at all.  

ZamilyMom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Never forget that while your children are growing up, they need you to be parent and not their best friend!

londiebay84
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Very good list! I need to focus on #7 more.
cheerylrob2
by on May. 1, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Never compare your kids to anyone. Never let them walk into a room with giving them eye contact and a smile. (even if you can't answer their question right away). Never give advice unless asked. Your friend could just be venting. Never over react when they make a mistake. You are setting them up to trust you with bigger mistakes when they are teens.

booaura
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Except numbers 2 and 3, I agree. There certainly are wrong ways to parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM

No kids in the house at all (aside from the furry kind) and I STILL buy baby wipes!! They come in very handy ... you should also put a small pack in all of your First Aid kits. 

Don't take it seriously when your kid says that they "hate you" or that you are "ruining your life". Just respond back ... "then I am doing my job!!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Don't*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN