Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it 'his' money or 'our' money?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM
  • 99 Replies

How do you handle your finances in your home? Is it 'his/her' money or 'our' money?

Do you have joint accounts and pool your money, or do you keep separate accounts and have his and her money. 

If you have separate accounts, are you each responsible for certain expenses in your home?

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM
It's our money and my money . We have joint checking and 2 joint savings. . Then I have 2 desperate savings in just my name. I work PT my money is for extras . I set up the accounts so I could transfer money to my kids when they were in college.
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I want to say firstly this is something that should be decided before marriage and its different for everyone.  You need to talk about if its forever or if things change when there are kids.

My husband and I pool our money into one account with direct deposit of our checks.  That money is then used to pay all the bills.  We take a set amount ($200 per check) and put that into savings.  The rest of the money we split unless something is coming up that we will need extra money like a dance competition in florida or something.  Our split money is transferred to personal accounts that the other does not have access to. How we spend that money is up to us.  The money is split in half, even if im home with kids and not working, working part time or working full time.  

Melody635
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM

It's our money and unfortunately I handle all of our finances .  DH recently opened up an account at a credit union when we were thinking about getting a home loan from them, and the plan was for me to move everything over and close our other account, but I haven't yet.  DH has been putting the money he's earned from side jobs in the credit union account, so I'm trying to encourage him to have his own account there (even though he put my name on the account as well)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

It is ours and we have several joint accounts- always have.

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Our money.
Tranquil_Octopi
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Ours. When we have had a checking account it was in both of our names. 

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM

It's ours and we have joint accounts.

KsAangel25
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM
He has his and I have mine. I pay the bulk of the bills, but it's mostly my kids in the house.
dockyswifey
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM
It's our money. We have a joint account.
rissat79
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM

OURS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)