Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Am I selfish because I like my job? *edited*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

*Edit* My thinking is, 'if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy', lol.   If I quit my job, I will probably NOT be very happy.  If I try to find a new job, I will most likely start at the bottom again making minimum wage...would it be worth it?  Most likely not.  I don't have a college education except for an associate's degree in graphic design...now, when looking for graphic design jobs, you need a bachelors.  I don't think I'm very good at it anyway which is why I never persued it... I like to do projects for people but that's about the extent of it.  I like my retail job and all the people that go along with it and I've been working with a lot of these people for many years.

I work in retail.  I've worked in retail since I was 16 (1986).  I manage a small store currently and I typically work a 44 hour work week.  Sometimes I end up working a couple more hours than that because a job needs to get done.  I've been at my current job for around 20 years.

I have three children ages 23, 18, and 16.  My husband and my three children hate my job and they say it takes me away too much from them; especially during the holiday season where my work week can jump up to about 50+ hours a week.  

My husband works a job where he starts at 4 in the morning and is home around 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon.  And he has a better income than I do.  Being that a store is open from 10-9 daily, my hours are much different and yes, I am gone a good chunk of the day... but I get 2 days off a week, just like him. And I do get most Sundays off.

He constantly complains that I need to find a new job because he has to do everything in the house and he never sees me.  (which I don't believe to be entirely true)  I like my job; why would I want to start over?  The only thing I know is retail.

Am I being selfish?  What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Bump

thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I don't think you should have to quit. Maybe reduce your hours a little bit, just to be able to spend a little more time with them? I mean they are older, so it's not like your kids need your constant supervision or companionship, but if it was something you were willing to compromise on, that would be my solution.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Unforunately, that's not an option.  I'm required to work a 44 hour work week and then during the holiday season, a 48 hour work week or whatever it takes to get the job done.

Quoting thatgirl70:

I don't think you should have to quit. Maybe reduce your hours a little bit, just to be able to spend a little more time with them? I mean they are older, so it's not like your kids need your constant supervision or companionship, but if it was something you were willing to compromise on, that would be my solution.

MikeysMom22
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Are you both off on the same two days? Is he in bed asleep already by the time you get home after 9:30 or  10 or later by the time you get home?? Does he do all the laundry and cook all the meals because you are not home from work at the usual dinner time?? He might genuinely be missing having your around to help with things around the house and also actually seeing you. You guys sounds like ships passing in the night. 

theresaphilly
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM

You are not being selfish for liking your job, maybe you both can get the same two days off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Yes and no to some of these questions.  He's sleeping if I work late and he does usually make dinner.  However, we both do laundry and I make breakfast and lunches.  He's got weekends off.  While I normally get Sunday's off, I do have to work at least one a month.  So a lot of evenings I am home but he's usually tired by the time I get home.  

Quoting MikeysMom22:

Are you both off on the same two days? Is he in bed asleep already by the time you get home after 9:30 or  10 or later by the time you get home?? Does he do all the laundry and cook all the meals because you are not home from work at the usual dinner time?? He might genuinely be missing having your around to help with things around the house and also actually seeing you. You guys sounds like ships passing in the night. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I usually get Sunday's off but I do have to work at least one a month.  

Quoting theresaphilly:

You are not being selfish for liking your job, maybe you both can get the same two days off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM

What's your children gender?

Tracys2
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM

It's wonderful and not all that common to love your job.

You only have to work 44-48 hours a week, which is great hours! Loads of people work 55-70 hour weeks.

Sounds like you might resent having to quit. And they don't know how lovely it is to be around someone who is happy with her job.

NDADanceMom
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Two of your kids are now adults. The other is pretty close. How hard could it be to take care of them for your husband? Everyone can clean up after themselves and each parent can cook 2 times a week, each kid once.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)