Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do kids DO in PE then?

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM
  • 47 Replies
I had to buy my DD1 a new pr of tennis shoes this wk bc she's outgrown the first pr, and she needs them to participate in PE (she's in 1st grade, they go everyday). So I asked her how they were working out for her today, and she said 'fine, we just went for an extra recess today for PE bc we were good'. So naturally I asked what they usually do instead, bc playing on the playground seemed odd (although I also think it's odd to only have one recess rather than three but anyway...). We've talked abt PE before but honestly I usually focus on regular knowledge based schoolwork bc I assumed they played regular sports and typical PE games like we did in school. Apparently that is not the case. They can't touch each other at all! So no duck duck goose. No freeze tag. No dodgeball, obstacle courses, kickball, capture the flag, track, etc. Nothing! She said they played something called scooter fitness tag, and Chase race (still no contact u change leaders by passing the other children or something), and they did a dance segment where at the end the parents got to come during the PE slotted time period and watch them do things like the Duck dance and Hokey Pokey. When I went to school not that long ago, we did the things mentioned above and had a unit for each major sport as well as one for bowling and swimming. Every yr! I get that they're trying to get them moving at least I guess but they don't even cover nutrition soooo...what the heck do they do every day?? Do u know what ur children do during PE and if so what?

EDIT: Awesome, my first featured post! Thx! :)
by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM

My son's school does all the traditionals, except dodgeball.

KendallsMommee
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:40 PM
DD is in first grade and PE usually consists of the equivalent of recess or they watch a movie....lol.

AlleyCat08
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess we were violent when we had PE. We played football, soccer, basketball, baseball and so forth... Come to thing of it, we were brutal. I had more bruises, almost fractured my nose and one yr almost broke my ankle. 

karenbrzez
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:01 AM

My girls are always telling me about the sports they play and how much they have to run. I know yesterday they came home with stickers on their shirts that said, "I walked today at lunch for National Walk at Lunch Day" or something like that. Instead of recess they walked for 20 minutes. I think it was a rescheduled day because it was rained out and 30 degrees the other day (it usualy is sunny and 70 this time of year in May). I am pretty sure they told me about playing dodgeball the other day too. We live in the midwest and thankfully, they still teach and play like I did back in the early 80s and have those community values (not like in the SW USA where we just moved from that they could not even celebrate holidays or bring bday treats to school).

Dawn4175
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM
My son is in 5th grade and he watched "THE FILM" in PE yesterday. O.o
elk571
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Oh my, how's that going?? Lol I remember that day as well, but we watched during one of our recess times instead of PE. Good luck to u mama!

Quoting Dawn4175: My son is in 5th grade and he watched "THE FILM" in PE yesterday. O.o
BayouKat
by New Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:19 AM

My JR Higher did a whole section on dance which included the WOP and the wobble....i wasnt to happy with this!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Ours play all sports, basketball, kickball, tennis, ice skate, rollerblade, bike riding, yoga, swimming, pilates, everything you can think of really.  They also get a fitness test first thing and also at the end of the semester or year depending on their age.  Also weight and BMI. 

elk571
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Yes the older kids (in this grade school it goes up to 5th) did the wobble and cha cha slide in theirs (they were the slot right before my DD so I saw the last of their dances). I wasn't sure some of them were appropriate but I guess they were trying to make it more fun and diverse? I dunno lol. What do they do when it's not dancing at the school, do u know?

Quoting BayouKat:

My JR Higher did a whole section on dance which included the WOP and the wobble....i wasnt to happy with this!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on May. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
My son in the 6th grade they run n walk and play some sports too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)