Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Using a carseat isn't really THAT hard - do you always use one?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM
  • 140 Replies

I'm a single mom and my mom lives nearby so she often sits for me and when she does, she has carseats in her car for the kids. The problem is, she doesn't always put them IN the carseats, or she'll put them in and not buckle them up. She tells me it isn't that big of a deal since she's just driving them around the corner to the store or the few blocks from her house to mine, but I remind her that's where most accidents occur and anything could happen in that time. She always shrugs and says they're just so hard to deal with and she's not used to them, citing the fact that she never used one with me (still trying to figure that out - I'm not THAT old -carseats were mandatory in my childhood!). How can I make her listen and see the importance of using the carseat every time? Do YOU use a carseat every time for your kids?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I use a carseat every time regardless of where or how far im going. My 6yr old is in a hbb and my 2yr old is still rf
auntangelofsix
by Angel on May. 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Yes I use it everytime for my 2 yr old son.
newwifenmom
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Every single time
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Every time, even if we were going just across the highway to the shopping center there 1.5 miles away. 

gracef282
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
As a grandparent its important to strap kids in no matter what or where you're travelling. They're precious babies and we as grandparents need to realise they are not our children, but our childrens babies. Dont think nothings going to happen for a second, because alot can happen in a split second. Tell your mom she's hampering with your kids lives.
bellawomen
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM
10 moms liked this
She wouldn't be allowed to take my children if she isn't concerned about their safety. My 10 year old is still in a booster. He doesn't pass the 5 step test yet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Yes! I have a 15 month old and she doesn't even meet the requirements to FF yet. My mil is like that though. When we visited for the first time she wanted to hold my then 5 month old on her lap when we were visiting other family members. She was very upset with me when I insisted that she needed her car seat.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this
I've never not used a car seat. My oldest is four and has never been in a moving vehicle without being strapped into her seat. But since I don't drive we don't use them often, many once a month. We walk.
If your mother is only going around the block why not just walk? I mean if the car seats are too much hassle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 3, 2014 at 1:46 AM
3 moms liked this

He's in a high back booster, but yes.

I would not allow her to drive my kids anywhere. If she's your only method of childcare, fine, but I would set my foot down that she either properly restrains them in their carseats in your vehicle, or tell her you'll take her car keys while she's watching them so she can't go anywhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2014 at 3:02 AM

I wouldn't police other people.  You can only say something and if she doesn't listen move on and forget about it. 

Don't let her sit for your kids at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)