Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

kindergarten firs day

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 8:03 AM
  • 13 Replies
I am a little anxious with my first son starting soon. could you share some stories to help the transition.
by on May. 3, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgem1003
by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Can you take a your of the school with him so he will feel a little more familiar with it, meet his teacher too, if possible.

Has he been in daycare it stayed at home? You can talk about how the schedule will be different than home or daycare.
nurse1997
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM

It will be  a sad day and u might even cry the first day than you will enjoy it ;) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

MIne had no transition because they had been in preschool since age 2.  It went well.  Has your son been in preschool? If he hasn't I would be having him be away from you so he gets used to that. I enjoyed milestones and was happy for my kids.  We are empty nesters now and enjoying it actually.

When my oldest went to school one kid screamed the whole 3 hours they were there the first day.  The teacher could do nothing but try and comfort him and the others sat there dumbfounded because they had been in preschool. 

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

My children's school had a day to go to the school before about a week or so before school started so the students could meet their teacher, find the classroom and meet some of the other kids in their class.

Mine never went to a preschool, I home schooled them then and the teachers said they were as or more advanced as some who had been in a preschool program for 2-3 years.

EDIT:  I forgot to add that if your child is riding a bus, they wanted them to ride it to school the first day.  They did let you drive to the school to met your child there.  They found out in the past that the children would not know which bus or be to scared to get on it after school let out for the day(I rode in the car to school so it will be here now to).  They also put some bright yellow tape on a strap of their backpack so that the bus driver would know that he/she was in kindergarten and the school district required someone older(7th grade or older) to ask for him/her by name or the driver would take them back to school and the office would call.  if this happened several times he/she would be suspended from the bus or loose bus privileges.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Our kindergarteners went to school in the summer 2 hours a day for a week to see the room and get used to going to school and it was a safety class.  Do they have that where you are?  They also ride the bus home on the last day to get used to the bus. 

IrishMommy87
by New Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM
my son was never in preschool or daycare but I know he will get along well with the children I'm worried about the scheduling and having to sit down and listen. I know he listens well when others give directions and he does love to learn when he's not distracted.
mariesmama
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:56 AM

my kid has been in preschool since age 3 she got speech therapy at the school,this yr in a different state they told us speech therapy at the school has to wait till next yr,because kindergarden is required

schatzi869
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM
There were lots and lots of crying kids and parents for the first two weeks. Kids clung to their parents, including my son. My son was excited until other kids started crying.
TinkTink205
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM

My son was a little nervous the first day and he rode the bus.  My nephew came over that morning and rode the bus with him.  That helped a lot.  After that first day he couldn't wait to go back.  Pretty easy for him and he had always been home.

Tracys2
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Call your school now, when they are still open for the year, and ask if there is any kind of Kindergarten prep day/week. Our state (NC) has a day or week during the Summer when kids can go and meet the teachers and get used to how classrooms are. It's way lower-key than the real first day, since there are no other kids in the school and parents drop the kids off instead of a bus.

We also have staggered start, which means the first 5-6 days of school, only a few kids go, to get used to their teacher and classroom in small groups. Then, the first day with all the kids, they do fun stuff.

Actually, our state and school are superb for K. None of my kids has ever been scared, they LOVED it. And when the bus arrives at the school, there are tons of staff and parents who help show them to their classroom, and it was a completely positive experience.

Whoever answers the phone for your school should be able to tell you about this stuff. If there's a Summer program, if they start slowly, if they can meet their teacher and see their classroom at an open house before school starts.... basically, how it goes.

GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN