Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is saying "please" such a horrible thing??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 289 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was working at the school bake sale at snack helping sell items for the band and lots of kids were coming up and saying, "Gimme two bags of cookies" or whatever. They weren't asking, but barking at me like they were little generals. I got a little irritated after the 30th one and said to one little boy, "Say 'please.'" He blushed, but asked nicely with a "please," thanked me as he paid and went on his way. The other mom working with me told me not to be such a bitch, that kids don't have to say please if they're paying good money for something, and that she'd slap me silly if I made HER kid say "please." I was shocked. Are manners such an oddity now that making a child say "please" is slap-worthy?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2014 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes they should, but i guess the kids were overly excited in spending their money on the goodies, it probably was one of those situations where it was too busy for them to say please and thank you. My opinion.
little.worthen
by Tess on May. 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM
5 moms liked this
No... But at the same time I think adult who treat children like lesser beings are assholes.

Honestly if I walked up to your stand at a bake sale to spend my money on your treats and said "can I get a bag of chocolate chip cookies and some brownies." You would hand them to me and tell me to have a nice day..
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 1:19 AM
25 moms liked this

my kids dont get anything unless they say please first.

cpittaz
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 1:27 AM
6 moms liked this
I require the use of please
NDADanceMom
by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM
31 moms liked this

I would have said "wow I guess I know now why some kids are so rude."

I would have also informed the person running the volunteers about what happened.  She should not be allowed to volunteer after threatening to slap anyone or calling you a bitch.  WAY out of line.  If she felt that way, a simple "I wouldnt bother making them say please" would do. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 6:57 AM
9 moms liked this
Ds is expected to say please. I know there are times he's really excited and needs a reminder.

I'd be more concerned with how the mom reacted. Who speaks to another that way? She'd bitch slap someone for encouraging manners?
CLEKate
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have done what you did.  There is no excuse for poor behavior---kids will learn quickly that they can always be inpolite.

ashleymarie0828
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:06 AM
7 moms liked this

Where do you live? In the south manners are required lol  so much so that when my husband and I moved to California for a few years, people there always asked where we were from. We don't have southern accents, it was just because of our manners. A specific time that I can remember is standing in line at the grocery store, there was an older woman with only a couple of items so my husband got her attention by saying "ma'am" and then told her she could cut in front of us. She paused for a few moments and looked at us a little bit funny, then said thank you and put her stuff on the belt and proceeded to ask where we are from lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2014 at 7:08 AM
4 moms liked this
I'd feel like slpping my kid if they didn't say please!
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:08 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree with you.  Manners are important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN