Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Bullying...last straw..update in purple...

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM
  • 25 Replies

So, yesterday was the last straw in our on-going battle with a bully at our son's school.  I posted a while ago about issues he was having with a particular kid.  The kid stopped stealing his lunch, but he never quit making fun of him and calling him a "snitch bitch" for coming to us and in turn we took it to the principal. Our son had also already went to his school counselor, but she didn't do anything.  We have tried contacting the parents and they won't talk to us.  

Well, yesterday our son had welts on his arm from this kid snapping him with a rubberband.  We immediately went to the school, met with the 7th grade principal...AGAIN...and they are supposed to be meeting with this kid and the school security officer today.  We were going to go to the police and file charges against this kid since the school won't do anything about it (which we informed the principal of and told him he was more than welcome to inform the parents of the bully what our intentions are/were), but after thinking it over last night, we decided to give the school one last chance to handle the situation.  I don't want to get my hopes up, but I am thinking that since my husband (and I) went in to meet with the principal yesterday, instead of just me...perhaps the principal will see that we are NOT messing around.  

ETA:  The boy was given in school suspension..along with another kid.  They were high fiving each other and happy because now they get out of school for the day...what dumb a** kids...they tried blaming my son and saying he was snapping them with rubber bands...I am glad the school took action!!  Just praying the kid(s) stop now...if not...the cops are our next stop...without question!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RJC78
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Good luck...the world is all about preaching anti-bullying but few will actually do anything to stop it.  Hopefully it stops for your son soon!

Kitty_Myrick
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM

How much time is left in the year?

cat

Runner36
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Exatly...and that is what I told the principal...they supposedly have a "zero-tolerance" bullying policy, but it obviously is not enforced!  We cannot move from this place soon enough!!

Quoting RJC78:

Good luck...the world is all about preaching anti-bullying but few will actually do anything to stop it.  Hopefully it stops for your son soon!

CafeMom Tickers
Runner36
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM

my kids have 6 weeks(from today).  They are getting out 3 days early because we are moving.

Quoting Kitty_Myrick:

How much time is left in the year?

cat

CafeMom Tickers
RJC78
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It's sad!  And if your son were to physically assert himself he would probably have criminal charges pressed against him..  Whatever you do, don't back down!  Not that I think you want to but it can be tough when you see no results.  

Quoting Runner36:

Exatly...and that is what I told the principal...they supposedly have a "zero-tolerance" bullying policy, but it obviously is not enforced!  We cannot move from this place soon enough!!

Quoting RJC78:

CafeMom Tickers
Runner36
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I know...and at the beginning of the school year they had this "Bully lecture" thing and they told all the students that if they are hit/ physically assaulted and they defend themselves they will be suspended.  We are definitely not backing down..  I think it is vital for many reasons, but most importantly I want our son to know we ALWAYS have his back and will do anything ot protect him!

Quoting RJC78:

It's sad!  And if your son were to physically assert himself he would probably have criminal charges pressed against him..  Whatever you do, don't back down!  Not that I think you want to but it can be tough when you see no results.  

Quoting Runner36:

Quoting RJC78:

CafeMom Tickers
ladybugchick317
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Here is what I would do (and have done). Sounds like you have given this school ample chances to take care of this. I would show up at the school board (not school) with every news crew that will listen and start naming names and asking in front of the camera why they are allowing kids to be bullied and abused by other kids when they saw there is a no tolerance police. I bet they change their tune real fast.

ladybugchick317
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait. They told them if they defend themselves they will be suspended? Wow. I have told my kids you stand up for yourself and if you get into trouble you tell them you are not allowed to say anything until me or dad gets there.

Quoting Runner36:

I know...and at the beginning of the school year they had this "Bully lecture" thing and they told all the students that if they are hit/ physically assaulted and they defend themselves they will be suspended.  We are definitely not backing down..  I think it is vital for many reasons, but most importantly I want our son to know we ALWAYS have his back and will do anything ot protect him!

Quoting RJC78:

Quoting Runner36:

Quoting RJC78:

quickbooksworm
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM
That's bullshit to suspend someone for defending themselves. When we had to deal with a bully, I flat out said that it would be resolved or my son could defend himself and I'd take him to Disney for his suspension. Miraculously, the bullying ended. In the adult world, if you physically assault another person, the other person can defend themselves without charges being brought up.

Quoting Runner36:

Quoting RJC78:

Quoting Runner36:

Quoting RJC78:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I think since you guys didn't follow through they (the school and bully) will think it was an empty threat. If I was in your position I would have gone to the school board the second nothing was done about the verbal abuse. If that didn't work and the snapping (which is now physical) started the day it started I would have gone to the police. In the real world you place your hands on someone intending to do physical harm you go to jail for it. Since the parents and the school are doing nothing about this kid abusing your son it's you who has to protect him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)