Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Going back to school, I'm curious.

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
I was just wondering if continuing your education or going back to school had changed your life for the better or just racked up more debt for you and not landed you that job you had hoped to get?
Not being down on school at all, just have heard many mixed feelings on college and going back to school.
by on May. 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on May. 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

For me my education is a necessity. You can not teach in public school unless you have a degree.  

I know a few people however that have useless degrees that just racked up debt.  The "colleges" you see on daytime TV that offer paralegal degrees and medical tech... Those are not the best way to go IMO.  Those credits do not transfer and you would have to start over in school if you want to get a better degree.  Some people also find either they did not need the degree or they need a different degree.  Nursing assistant?  Most nursing homes will train you for free and get you your certificate.  No need to spend a dime.  Paralegal?  Most law firms hire new lawyers or lawyers that have not passed the bar for this position.  I know a woman who got straight As in her paralegal classes and the best she could do was a secretary at a car dealership.  NOBODY would hire her as a paralegal because she was not qualified.  

Check the job you want.  Call around and ask if they are hiring, how much they pay and what they are looking for in an employee.  Ask about the school you are planning on going to.  My school district would openly tell you that a teaching degree from the university of Phoenix on line would not be acceptable ad they would never hire you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I'm an advocate for continued education but in the U.S. it often does lead to a great deal of debt that hardly makes it pay off for many, many people. Other countries all over the world offer education for free but one of the richest (U.S.) doesn't. That's why we see such a gap in earnings and why such a small percentage "make it". I'm not talking people who are in debt with a house, cars, boats, and all the shit they think they need or believe they're "living the dream" LOL. I'm talking making it in the sense where they can pay for everything and not be in debt up to their eyeballs. 

rescuekim
by Kim on May. 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

In my 20s, I was a security guard in a hospital.  I would see the nurses working and thought to myself, "I could do that."  I ended up going to nursing school at that same hospital and then working there as a nurse for 5 years.  I was 30 when I graduated and my daughter was 13.  Do the math.  Life was hard for us.  Been on welfare and food stamps, sold my blood platelets to make the rent and I've had all of the crappy jobs.  We moved several times to keep a roof over our heads while I was in school. I bartended every weekend.  It was rough but it was so worth it.  I'd do it all over again, if I had to.

JessiFaye
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM
I have a masters degree. I only took about 7 months off between degrees, and the job I got after undergrad was for the university... so I got the degree for free, which was excellent. I was able to get a much higher paying job with the advanced degree, which has obviously been a plus.
sarahfaith123
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Um no for me so far it wasn't worth it to go back again. I have a bachelors and a career in my field but in 2007 I got a Paralegal certification which took 1 1/2 years and 12,000. I never got hired because you need 3-5 years experience . So I have the debt without the great job, I'm still in my previous career
sarahfaith123
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM
But I do have a friend who went back to be a massage therapist and that degree was worth it - she has worked in several spas.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I agree with you on all you said.  People pick useless degrees these days.  Do research for the top 10 or 20 best degrees.  My dd was going to do it anyway but a year or 2 when dd went to Massage therapy school is was one of the most growing fields with more and more people being stressed out and paying for massages these days.  She graduated last week and will be looking soon.  Seems lots of jobs are out. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

For me my education is a necessity. You can not teach in public school unless you have a degree.  

I know a few people however that have useless degrees that just racked up debt.  The "colleges" you see on daytime TV that offer paralegal degrees and medical tech... Those are not the best way to go IMO.  Those credits do not transfer and you would have to start over in school if you want to get a better degree.  Some people also find either they did not need the degree or they need a different degree.  Nursing assistant?  Most nursing homes will train you for free and get you your certificate.  No need to spend a dime.  Paralegal?  Most law firms hire new lawyers or lawyers that have not passed the bar for this position.  I know a woman who got straight As in her paralegal classes and the best she could do was a secretary at a car dealership.  NOBODY would hire her as a paralegal because she was not qualified.  

Check the job you want.  Call around and ask if they are hiring, how much they pay and what they are looking for in an employee.  Ask about the school you are planning on going to.  My school district would openly tell you that a teaching degree from the university of Phoenix on line would not be acceptable ad they would never hire you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd just graduated.  One of the big growing fields.  You can work 25 hours a week and make very good money.  Your body burns out if you work more than that so you can easily get a different part time job with it as well.  DD plans on working 2 jobs for a while. 

Quoting sarahfaith123: But I do have a friend who went back to be a massage therapist and that degree was worth it - she has worked in several spas.

sarahfaith123
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM
That's true, because my friend did get burned out from doing if full time

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd just graduated.  One of the big growing fields.  You can work 25 hours a week and make very good money.  Your body burns out if you work more than that so you can easily get a different part time job with it as well.  DD plans on working 2 jobs for a while. 

Quoting sarahfaith123: But I do have a friend who went back to be a massage therapist and that degree was worth it - she has worked in several spas.

mama-mom-mommy
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:52 AM
My personal goal was to have a college degree. Not just to have better career opportunities, but so that I could be an example to my children. I took onp8ne classes, and finished in about a year and a half and the day I turned in my last exam, I got an interview and was working the following week making 20k more than at my last job.
It was painless. And for me, once I accomplished that, I felt sooooo much better about myself.
The value of an education, is not just measured by a paycheck.
If it is for career growth only, I would think a certification, or Short term program might be better, depending on the job you are looking for, and the industry you want to work in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)