Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Washing their mouth out with soap? Good idea or old-fashioned nonsense?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

Is making your child hold a bar of soap in their mouth for a while a good idea for punishment for cursing, or is it just old-fashioned nonsense and dangerous to boot?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skipp2
by New Member on May. 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM

My mom did it to me, it's a family joke now because I spit it out and hollered "This soap tastes like SHIT!!" She never did it again, instead just talked to us about appropriate language and time and place.

My rule with my kids is if you'ree going to swear amonst yourselves so be it, but don't use curses to be nasty to others and don't swear around your grandparents. For the record, my kid's biggest swears are pretty mild and they're 10, 11, & 20 : )

So no, I wouldn't do it to my kids, not only is it ineffective but who wants to fight with a flailing hysterical kid to try and jam soap in his/her mouth???

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM
I never had it done to me, and I never did it to my kids.....but it wasn't necessary.
I heard of it being done, but I never heard of anyone dying from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I remember having to go through the house and choose the soap. I don't ever remember what I did or said to be punished. My son is just a baby, but I can't imagine doing that to him. I'm hoping to raise him to be respectful and stupid punishments like this one will never be heard of in this home.
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:21 AM
2 moms liked this

OLD FASHIONED NONSENSE

butzi
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Oh man... I don't spank, I don't verbally denigrate my kids, but then we get to the mouth washing. I have perpetrated this crime on my kids a total of three times ...15 years ago or more, and I still have regret. I hate physical punishments but at the time I didn't equate the two things. I know, sounds stupid now, but at the time...

So here's what I know about it... I did not put a bar of soap In There, instead I put a dab of liquid soap on my finger and swished it around their mouths. I was forever scarred by the experiences. It seemed shady but I was not confident enough as a parent to admit it was a bad plan.

I just spoke to one of the victims of my crime, he said he vaguely remembers it and it probably wasn't that horrible because he only vaguely remembers it. He reassured me that I had not ruined him, but one thing is clear, I did not teach any real lessons.
thefiregoddess
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
It's mildly abusive and flat out stupid.

Oh and parents and others have been arrested recently and charged for doing it.
anjones09
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM
My mom never did it to me. I don't think she cared if I did it amongst us but I never said it around others. I still don't curse in front of my grandparents. I watch it around ds but sometimes I slip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM
lol that's a hilarious story!

Quoting skipp2:

My mom did it to me, it's a family joke now because I spit it out and hollered "This soap tastes like SHIT!!" She never did it again, instead just talked to us about appropriate language and time and place.

My rule with my kids is if you'ree going to swear amonst yourselves so be it, but don't use curses to be nasty to others and don't swear around your grandparents. For the record, my kid's biggest swears are pretty mild and they're 10, 11, & 20 : )

So no, I wouldn't do it to my kids, not only is it ineffective but who wants to fight with a flailing hysterical kid to try and jam soap in his/her mouth???

nana776
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I had it done once when I was little, I remember having to eat hot sauce more. I never did it to my kids, it can cause diarrhea. I'm not positive, but I think it may be considered child abuse in my state. 

heldcaptiveby2
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM
My Mom did not use bar soap, she used palmolive dish liquid. It was awful, I threw up right after she did it. I still have nausea everytime I smell it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)