Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newly diagnosed diabetic/ recipes

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hello I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and am searching for some yummy recipies that I can share with my family. 

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Anything with meat and veggies but NO fruit for you. You should focus on low glycemic veggies
luv_2babies
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

No fruit? That is a bummer

Quoting MixedCooke: Anything with meat and veggies but NO fruit for you. You should focus on low glycemic veggies

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Fructose found in fruit goes directly into the bloodstream causing a blood sugar spike. Berries have the lowest glycemic index. You should also think about eating fiber gummies before meals as fiber slows the absorption of sugar thus no spike. You should also add cinnamon daily as cinnamon reduces insulin resistance.

Quoting luv_2babies:

Quoting MixedCooke: Anything with meat and veggies but NO fruit for you. You should focus on low glycemic veggies

luv_2babies
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Is there a guideline to the cinnamon? such as a certain amount? 

Quoting MixedCooke: Fructose found in fruit goes directly into the bloodstream causing a blood sugar spike. Berries have the lowest glycemic index. You should also think about eating fiber gummies before meals as fiber slows the absorption of sugar thus no spike. You should also add cinnamon daily as cinnamon reduces insulin resistance.
Quoting luv_2babies:

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Exercises such as push ups and squats before meals will activate glut 4 transporters, which will filter the sugar directly to your muscles or taking a walk after meals will also use up the excess sugar in your blood.
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM
There is also something called Phase II, which is white kidney bean extract, which is a carb blocker that will block some but not all the carbs you eat if you take it before meals. The ideal diabetic diet is a low carb, high protein, high fat diet. Please keep in mind that its the carbs/sugar that makes us fat and causes diabetes and that fat doesn't make us fat but sugar/carbs do.
luv_2babies
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Thanks for all the great information you rock

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I mix a teaspoon of it in a cup of water and add a tablespoon of lemon juice and heat it in the microwave. Strain it or keep stirring it with a teaspoon because cinnamon gels. I drink it like tea first thing in the morning. The cinnamon reduces insulin resistance and the lemon juice detoxifies the liver and will get your metabolism going in the morning. You can also sprinkle it in coffee, on your oatmeal ( would avoid oatmeal doing low carb), on your sweet potato and it also comes in a pill as a side option.

Quoting luv_2babies:

Is there a guideline to the cinnamon? such as a certain amount? 

Quoting MixedCooke: Fructose found in fruit goes directly into the bloodstream causing a blood sugar spike. Berries have the lowest glycemic index. You should also think about eating fiber gummies before meals as fiber slows the absorption of sugar thus no spike. You should also add cinnamon daily as cinnamon reduces insulin resistance.

Quoting luv_2babies:

GraysonsMom_
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM
My dad is also a diabetic. While I don't really have any special recipes he does put cinnamon in his coffee. I forgot the exact reason but it has something to do with cinnamon being good for diabetics.
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL you can eat fruit. Count the carbs and work them into your meal plan

Quoting luv_2babies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)