Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What's the big deal about teens and condoms anyway?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

I overheard some ladies arguing in the checkout lane about these new condom dispensers at their kids' school. They're available free of charge and the kids can get them in the bathrooms or in the nurse's office without having to talk to anyone or anything (although they do have sex ed info available and the nurse is happy to talk to them any time they have questions or anything, too).

The moms are ticked because they think that the school shouldn't be getting involved in their kids' sex lives like that, while I can see the point that the school's trying to something, anything, to stem the tide of teen pregnancies going on at that school. I mean, they've got one of the highest rates in the country and everybody has this silly, Puritanical idea that not talking about sex or offering birth control, etc., will make the kids abstain. It's ludicrous and, what's more, dangerous, to assume that.

Anyway, if your child's junior/senior high offered free condoms to the kids, would YOU be upset?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraysonsMom_
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM
7 moms liked this
No. I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't want to encourage teen sex but let's be real. If they want to have sex they will find a way to do it. A lot of parents would not help them get protection if they asked for it. Even if teens aren't having sex I don't think it's a bad idea to have protection just in case. In my opinion it's better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't want my high schooler to be sexually active, but because I'm not an idiot I think it's a good idea for them to have access to protection.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM
I gave my kids condoms in high school. They didnt have sex until college though.....
But seriously......its basic health ed.
luv_2babies
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM
I agree, I do not think it is a bad idea... being real about it they are teenagers and if they want to do it they will at least give them an option to do so safely.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I was out of HS but I can say I was glad I waited till I was dating my husband.  I was with someone once and I can say without a doubt had he had a condom I would have had sex and given in.  He didn't so we didn't.  I didn't want to take any chances with no BC.  I was not that stupid.  THANK GOODNESS.  I am so glad I waited for dh. 

Jenna_
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:26 AM
I have 2 daughters that I would love to protect from the world but there comes a time when they reach a certain age and they will have sex. I obviously wouldn't agree with it and want them to wait but I would always want them to be open with me so I can protect them in any way that I can. I think it is great that there are condoms in school because unfortunately there are parents that are not open with their children, it is important for them to be protected. And for the parents that say having condoms in school will make kids want to have sex is crazy because when a child has it set in their mind they are going to have sex, they will do it with or without protection and if they want to use protection they will get it one way or another so it is better to educate our children and make them feel comfortable enough to go to you when they think about taking the next step.
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at all. I raised 3 sons and all were well informed about sex,pregnancy , disease etc. My dad made the comment one time that I was lucky to have boys because I didn't have to worry about them getting pregnant. I didn't miss a beat when I replied "Dad maybe not BUT being male they could impregnate numerous girls" I love sex but even when I was young the thought of getting pregnant scared the hell out of me. These days I'd hate having to be involved in the dating scene. Aids and herpes are just 2 things that come to mind. While going through my divorce I found out about my EX and all of his endeavors. I had myself tested for aids every year for 10 years just to be on the safe side and give myself some peace of mind.

NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM
3 moms liked this
Here is why I wouldn't care for it... My kids are not emotionally ready for sex and they are not in relationships serious enough for sex. We talk about sex and I have the arm implant thing in one of my teens. I'm not against birth control. I want to be able to express to my kids however my feelings about sex. The school handing out condoms would tell my kids "I know your mom doesn't think you are ready, but obviously you are. We are giving you the tools to of it safely."
My kids are not mature enough to understand the condoms aren't a pass for everyone to have sex. I understand that the school just wants kids to be safe if they make that choice. My kids however would see it as a sign that the school feels it's normal to have sex in middle school.
mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM
6 moms liked this
If kids are having sex in middle school, there is a bigger problem that needs to be addressed that goes beyond condoms.
semamaearth
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

It's one thing to encourage your kids to have sex, quite another to have protection available should they need it. Most of these kids aren't gonna go to mom or dad and say, "hey, I'm considering sleeping with this girl/boy,can you get me some condoms?" They will be more likely to NOT use protection if that is their only option. Having it available doesn't mean your kid is going to see it and think, "well,that's, I'm having sex!" If it's already on their mind, they may get one. They may change their minds. But at lease they're being smart. The fact is, kids have sex. Not all, but some. I would much rather my kid have access to protection if they were going to, and didn't want to ask me about it. Yes, we'd like to think our kids are going to feel comfortable talking to us about this kind of thing, but again,let's face it, we aren't as cool as we think we are, usually!! :-) I want my kids to be open with me and feel they can come to me, but I do not expect them to be 100%open and honest with me at all times, becauseit just doesn't happen. No matter what.

motherslove82
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Eh, the kids will empty the dispensers playing with them until the are gone and it is no longer cost effective to keep buying them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)