Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should I let my kid be on TV?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

My kid has special talents.  Has been in TV and newspapers, magazines, and online featured in articles before.  I don't have a problems with that.  My kid is special and enjoys what he does.

My question is this: We have been approaced by a TV company that wants to feature my son in a new reality series.  We are going to check it out but are really apprehensive about it. My inclination is to say no but are there any real positives out there?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaaden
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I would say no also.  There is some research coming out that reality tv breeds narcissism, not an attractive trait.  I don't think it does good in the long run.  Plus the producers aren't in this for your child's benefit, they are in it for them.

i also think go with your gut for any big decision.  Good luck

leeshuh
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Will it be long term? Like cameras following him daily/frequently? 

Obviously the money would be great because it would pay for his college. 

colins_mom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM
I think it would depend on the length of filming etc

What are his talents and how old is he? That plays a big factor
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Without getting into specifics, he is super smart and a teenager.  He is self-driven and has done things that has garnered national media attention.  I am not sure the kind of show since we haven't met to discuss it yet.  Based on the kinds of shows the company does I cannot narrow it down since they seem to do all kinds of reality.

This is really flattering and I want to do it but it is that gut feeling that is screaming NO that will probably rule my answer.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the money for college.  If he keeps up on the track he is now he will get scholarships or pay for it himself with the money he is earning now.  If that isn't enough he has college funds, grandparents and us.

Quoting leeshuh:

Will it be long term? Like cameras following him daily/frequently? 

Obviously the money would be great because it would pay for his college. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

My knee-jerk reaction is to say no.  Few people who have been in TV as kids and have had success have come out of it OK. It happens, but all too often there are negative results, to be honest. If he is serious about it, I'd  say hire yourself a manager and an attorney and don't sign anything without going over it all with a fine-toothed comb because they are interested in what they can get from your son, not what they can give him and his welfare or benefit is last on the list for them. Don't trust what they say, get it ALL in writing and then review it. If they don't want to do that, tell them no thank you.

LovlyRita
by Natalie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM
I would say no. It's not something I'd ever want for my kids. Funnily enough my husband and daughter are part of a pilot being filmed later this month. My SIL has already been interviewed for her charity and with luck the show will be picked up. The show is called Dare Me for Charity.
Momniscient
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Well... I think the Duggars are atrocious and that plus 8 family is awful and I haven't met a reality show yet that isn't exploitative. My instinct would be no.

I'm not sure that Disney has done any of those kiddos any favors either. Seems like playing with fire.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM

If your kid is as smart as you say he is, I would say no, he is on the right track to do great things, reallity tv people  and any child star usually ends up in the wrong side of life.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

You're right....there's a ton of things to consider. I'd be very cautious,move slowly and really read the fine print and in between the lines. Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)