Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Stray cats, is this a mean thing to do?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM
  • 50 Replies
These trashy neighbors moved and left all these cats behind. 3 have taken to us because I started feeding them because I love animals and felt sorry for them. Well they keep digging holes in or front yard to use as a litter box and the girl cat had kittens and I think she's pregnant again. I cannot afford to keep feeding them but at the same time I can't just stop feeding them. A shelter in another town said they would take all of them but there's a good chance they'd all be put down, I cannot do that.
My neighbor said he take them all and drive out into the country and let them go there. That sounds mean to me but he said they survive off birds and mice and they'd be together and be fine. I don't know what to do. Feeding them all is too expensive but the thought of just dumping them somewhere isn't sitting well with me. On one hand they aren't my responsibility, we have a cat and a dog already, but on the other hand it just seems mean.
HELP!

EDIT********
We live in a very small town and our animal control leaves a lot to be desired, plus they are not equipped for cats. They cannot do anything. I have tried. We have humane society woman who runs things on her own and she isn't able to take cats either. I have researched all avenues.
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Do what you have to do
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM
I think I'm going to have to. I just never thought I'd be one of those people who dumps cats, but I didn't abandoned them in the first place. Ugh I hate this.

Quoting Anonymous: Do what you have to do
LDavis33
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM
7 moms liked this

As someone who lives in a rural area, please do not drop them off in the country.  These cats, while strays, are used to being fed by humans and will seek out the nearest home in search of food.  I know, because I am that home.  We have strays and "barncats" in our yard on a daily (and nightly) basis.  They poop in my kids sandbox and my garden, yowl during the night, kill an inordinate number of songbirds and generally do not make good neighbors.  Last year DH and I tried setting a trap to catch a weasel that had been killing all of our chickens.  We set the trap for a week, and each night we would trap a different cat!  And in all likelihood the majority of the kittens would end up being killed by wild animals (such is nature).

Is there a local no-kill shelter near you?  That would be your best bet.  

If it were me in your position (and believe me I am a huge animal lover with 2 dogs and 1 cat myself) I would opt for no-kill first, but if that isn't an option I would choose to surrender them to the local humane society.  The kittens should have no problem being adopted out.  And while it might sound cruel to have the cats put down, and as unpopular as my opinion is going to be, sometimes it is the best and only option left.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
They will die out there. It doesn't matter if you think they are going to survive on birds and rats. They aren't used to it. Or, someone will kill them or a wild animal. It is by far more humane to take them to a shelter where they won't suffer. Please don't.
nerthus
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

That is cruel to take them out and dump them in the country; that is how my stepdad  and my mom, who just recently passed, bless her soul, ended up with like 20 cats clamoring for food around their house and having tons more babies till cats were running rampant out there where they lived. Some cities will loan you cat traps and give discounts or even offer to neuter feral cats for free so the ones you do have can be 'fixed' and then released and not have more babies. That way you could still feed the ones you have but not have them ending up breeding out of control. If that isn't doable I would try to find the local humane society or closest no-kill shelter; sadly my city's shelter has a terribly high euthanasia rate and killed over 6,000 cats and dogs last year alone, but we also have a humane society drop-off here where they work with fosters and adopters all across the country and even have a transportation network to get animals to adoptive homes even out of state.

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

STOP CALL ANIMAL CONTROL THEY WILL BE PLACED IN A SHELTER AND HOPEFULLY THEY WILL BE ADOPTED IF NOT AT LEAST THEY ARE PUT TO SLEEP WITH OUT SUFFERING!!!

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM
I'm not going to do that to those precious babies, don't worry.
Please understand where I live we do not have a lot of options though. We do an animal control person, yes just one, but the shelter here only takes dogs. The one that takes cats is 30 miles away, which I am completely ok with driving to but the woman there said the grown cats would lost likely be put down and I'm not ok with that. The humane society lady here said she could prob place the babies but I can't stand the thought of them being separated from mama. I am just going to treat my yard, get them fixed via financial help from the humane society when I can, and keep feeding them( prob the cheapest food I can find ) and hope for the best. I couldn't stand the thought of dropping them somewhere. Just wanted thoughts on what to do.

Quoting nurse1997:

STOP CALL ANIMAL CONTROL THEY WILL BE PLACED IN A SHELTER AND HOPEFULLY THEY WILL BE ADOPTED IF NOT AT LEAST THEY ARE PUT TO SLEEP WITH OUT SUFFERING!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Call animal control. They will come set traps and take them away.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Not sure if I made it clear in my original post but we live in a very small town and they are not equipped for cats.

Quoting Anonymous: Call animal control. They will come set traps and take them away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN