Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How much is too much?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hi ladies! How much on average do you spend per child a month/ at what age?
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM
On what?

Between food, activities, private school, lessons, trips, clothes, medicines, added utility costs, toys etc.. around 4500 a month if not more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM

On what.  I mean I just bought my 23 year old some clothes.  It was $300. 

This is too open ended?  On what?  Kids are expensive as hell at any age. 

LeelaG
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM
They really are lol

Quoting Anonymous:

On what.  I mean I just bought my 23 year old some clothes.  It was $300. 

This is too open ended?  On what?  Kids are expensive as hell at any age. 

LeelaG
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM
$4500 a month on one child?? Ok..at that rate we might just stick with the one lol

Quoting thefiregoddess: On what?

Between food, activities, private school, lessons, trips, clothes, medicines, added utility costs, toys etc.. around 4500 a month if not more.
thefiregoddess
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:39 AM
Yep. I should have added a disclaimer.. paternal grandparents are extremely wealthy and pay for the best of the best. Best schools, best tutors, best activities etc in the area. School tuition plus meals alone is about 2900 a month if you factor in summer camp and after school care too.

Quoting LeelaG: $4500 a month on one child?? Ok..at that rate we might just stick with the one lol

booaura
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:43 AM
On what? Right now, not all that much, they're all little and not in school yet. Our oldest will be going to private school this fall, so it'll get pricier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeelaG
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Ok, I thought that sounded a little high...

Quoting thefiregoddess: Yep. I should have added a disclaimer.. paternal grandparents are extremely wealthy and pay for the best of the best. Best schools, best tutors, best activities etc in the area. School tuition plus meals alone is about 2900 a month if you factor in summer camp and after school care too.

Quoting LeelaG: $4500 a month on one child?? Ok..at that rate we might just stick with the one lol

LeelaG
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM
On everything all together. Im trying to gauge how much should be budgeted as the age range goes up.

Quoting booaura: On what? Right now, not all that much, they're all little and not in school yet. Our oldest will be going to private school this fall, so it'll get pricier.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Really?  Because that's about as impossible as saying, "How much does a car cost?" Or a house.  Or a meal out.  Are we talking about a used Pinto or a new Lamborghini?  A run down trailer in Arkansas or a mansion in Beverly Hills?  The dollar menu at McDonalds or a ritzy steak house in NYC? All of those are a wide expanse with a million options in between.

The same goes for your question.  It's going to depend on where you live and what you have to include in that cost.  Will your kids participate in sports or extra curriculars?  Are you including vacations, trips, museum memberships, concerts, sporting events, etc.?  Do you buy clothes and toys at the Goodwill or Macy's?  Do you have costs for school or lessons or child are?  Does your child have medical needs/prescriptions?  Will they need braces?

Listening to other people's experiences isn't going to help you one bit.  You need to sit down and try to list off the things you expect to be paying.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:26 PM

$4,500/month?  Holy cow!  That's 3x what we raised 4 kids on/month.  I hope that with all that $$$$ that is being spent on them, they are learning to appreciate the fact that they have more than most kids could conceive of.... an appreciation for what it takes to earn a $, and that it really isn't things that make you happy.  I cannot imagine spending that much on kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)