Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My DH thinks it's weird that I clean the...

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 35 Replies
Trash cans in our house. We have a stainless step can in the kitchen. People touch it even tho it's got a pedal, things don't always make their way in completely, etc so every two wks or so when I see it needs it, I wipe it down w/ disinfectant wipes. Takes all of two seconds but he thinks it's strange. He also thinks it's weird that every couple months I rinse out the other regular cans (plastic, metal, ceramic) w/ soap and water. Just give them a swish when I see they've had something messy inside so they don't smell. Is it really that weird? What 'weird' thing do YOU clean that other ppl think is odd, or do u think is odd for others to clean?

EDIT: Wow I got featured AGAIN! I guess I should clarify that if they get super nasty I of course do more than just rinse them out w/ a bit of soap but that's only ever happened a few times (one was the remainder of an ice cream cone- that took some scrubbing too when I found it a few hrs later! Lol). Glad no one thinks it's as weird as my DH does bc here he had it sounding like I was super OCD or crazy or something ;) In his 'defense' I guess, his family never really taught him how to clean since to this day his mother still has the mentality that if it LOOKS clean, it's clean- I don't think the woman has ever bought a can of Lysol or used more than a toilet brush to 'clean'. I HATE going to their house, gives me the heebie jeebies, so to him me cleaning the cans probably does look like I'm a crazy person! ;)
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Firewoman33
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I think that's completely normal. If you didn't occasionally clean them they'd reak. I can't think of any odd cleaning thing I do. Dh thinks it's odd I use Pledge on the stainless, but I know I'm not the only that's discovered that trick.

He doesn't really clean, just tidy. Before we were married he had a housecleaner. lol

rachellaree20
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I've worked in restaurants and in every one of them, cleaning the trashcans inside the restaurant is always something that is done so it makes sense that you'd clean the ones inside your house.  They get gross and stinky after awhile if they're not cleaned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I wash my garbage cans too

jujubear1
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I just noticed last night that I need to clean my kitchen trash can. They can get really gross if you don't clean them from time to time.
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Me too 

GrammaJane46
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Our trash company provides the outside trash cans, and they have a big message on them that asks if you will please rinse them out with the hose a couple of times each year.  I can't imagine why anyone would let trash cans just accumulate gunk!!

irishstarz
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM
I clean mine..it's part of keeping a home clean.
LDavis33
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I think it's weird that people think that is weird.  I do the same as you.

One thing DH thinks is a little weird is that I take a washcloth and wipe down the tub and surround while I am having a shower. It saves me from having to deep clean it more often, but he finds it odd.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Normal. I fill mine with hot water and bleach once a month, more if something nasty leaked.

Guys have no idea of the stuff we do daily to keep things clean.
1taximomhere
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM
I rinse out all our trash cans. The ones inside and the outside one too. Something always spills or leaks at one point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)