Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you make your children earn an allowance or do you just give them $

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do you make your children earn an allowance or do you just give them money?

My son is 12y/o and he doesn't have an allowance..

He keeps his room clean, his bathroom clean and has good behavior and with that earns the occasional new video game or whatever it is he asks for at the time (just one thing not multiple things)..

Last night he tells me he wants to earn an allowance so he can have money to spend on "whatever he wants"

I don't like the sound of that.. Am I being too controlling? I don't know what job to give him anyway there is no yard work we have a landscaper and I do all the housework except his room and bathroom and I like doing that!

sarcasm

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juli84
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

BUMP!

oliveoil423
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM
If he want to earn money have him do stuff around the house and if he wants something tell him to think about it if he really want it or get and what if he wants something else that he truely likes and wants. Just keep remind hin that.

I had a friend that would just get money. Her parents would just hand it to her left and right. She started working amd is earning her money that way.!
juli84
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I don't ever want to just hand him money..

Idk my house is never even really that messy BC I clean it everyday.. So idk what to have him do. Maybe he can go help at his Gma & Gpa house.

Quoting oliveoil423: If he want to earn money have him do stuff around the house and if he wants something tell him to think about it if he really want it or get and what if he wants something else that he truely likes and wants. Just keep remind hin that. I had a friend that would just get money. Her parents would just hand it to her left and right. She started working amd is earning her money that way.!

Daisy1120
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM

We don't do allowances. We do have a small amount of money deposited into my DD's savings account each week as well as a separate college fund set up for her. But that money if for later in life when she needs a car or to help with the cost of college, her wedding and things like that. She doesn't have access to that money at all. And as far as getting cash from us each week or for doing certain things around the house, it just doesn't happen. She has to keep her room clean and help out around the house but she doesn't get money for doing any of that.

oliveoil423
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Have him pick up some sticks in the yard and have him pick up his toys in his room. And ask him if he want to go to gma and gpas house to help then out on things that they need done. It will get him start on what real life is when he gets out of schools.

Quoting juli84:

Idk my house is never even really that messy BC I clean it everyday.. So idk what to have him do. Maybe he can go help at his Gma & Gpa house.

Quoting oliveoil423: If he want to earn money have him do stuff around the house and if he wants something tell him to think about it if he really want it or get and what if he wants something else that he truely likes and wants. Just keep remind hin that. I had a friend that would just get money. Her parents would just hand it to her left and right. She started working amd is earning her money that way.!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM
We do not do it he just helps my DH Scrap and get it that and he earn $20 for cutting a neighbors yard.
juli84
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Landscaper does the yard..

I'm going to ask around my family and see if they want to hire him to clean or do yard work or anything..

Quoting oliveoil423: Have him pick up some sticks in the yard and have him pick up his toys in his room. And ask him if he want to go to gma and gpas house to help then out on things that they need done. It will get him start on what real life is when he gets out of schools.
Quoting juli84:

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM

neither shes 4 we buy her what she needs

Cocomicah
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM
My parents never gave me an allowance. I started a grass cutting service around my house. I only did it one summer, but it was awesome. My parents didn't believe in paying me to keep their house clean. They always said they had kids so they could have free labor lol. When I got to high school I did start getting an allowance though.
IBNeaters
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM

There are certain things he does because he lives under my roof, but he does do some things for money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)