Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Before You Pick a Hobby Lobby Side, Know Your Contraception Facts

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

OK...time to get into it.  I've been seeing the Hobby Lobby stuff going back and forth (it's like my liberal friends and conservative friends are arguing on my facebook timeline.)  But one thing keeps coming up that IRKS ME:  Misinformation about what birth control does.    Hormonal birth control (like IUDs, the pill, ect)  works by several methods.   "The hormonal contraceptive usually stops the body from ovulating. Hormonal contraceptives also change the cervical mucus to make it difficult for the sperm to find an egg. Hormonal contraceptives can also prevent pregnancy by making the lining of the womb inhospitable for implantation."  (http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pills).  The third is what many Pro-lifers have a problem with, because this takes place after the egg has been fertilized (after spern meets eggs and make their own DNA).  So they CAN cause an early abortion*, but don't necessarily do so (because there are other methods which can prevent the pregnancy before that happens). The morning after pill just has a higher dose than the regular contraception.  Because it happens after sex, it is more likely to work by the third method...but not in all cases. Sperm can stay alive in the body 5-7 days, so if you have sex before you've ovulated, it can also delay ovulation, which could prevent pregnancy.      The Hobby Lobby owners objected to the IUDs because it CAN be use like a morning after pill if inserted less than 3 days after unprotected sex (though I imagine the chance of someone who wasn't already using this method, which requires a doctor to insert it,  just to avoid paying for a morning after pill, which runs only $30 -$60, would be slim). 

Hobby Lobby was only objecting to paying for "morning-after pill"  and Hormonal and copper intrauterine devices (IUDs).  They actually cover 16 of the 20 contraceptive methods approved by the FDA, inluding the regular birth control pill (you know, the little pink pills I keep seeing in political graphics about this case--yeah, this case didn't even deal with those).  The recent ruling did not affect anyone buying any type of contraception, but did excuse Hobby Lobby from paying for the four types of methods they were opposed to.

*NOTE ON TERMINOLOGY:   Technically the law does not define someone as pregnant until implantion, which takes place 9 days after fertiliation/conception.  The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary defines "pregnancy" as "from conception until birth," and  "conception" in a scientific context may be defined as fertilization, in a medical context can mean either fertilization or implantation but in lay terms may mean both.  But as a moral question, most are not concerned whether these drugs end a pregnancy, but whether they end a human life (and of course whether this is a human life at this stage is  a whole nother subject that has been covered on CafeMom well in other posts, so I won't address it here).  

SOURCES

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implantation_%28human_embryo%29

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/381637/hobby-lobby-actually-lavishes-contraception-coverage-its-employees-deroy-murdock

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/30/morning-after-iuds/11768653/

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
VinVanMom
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
They sell toys and crafts they have no business yelling employees what prescriptions they will cover. Guess what some religions would say no bc. What then. It's a slippery slope. Women who can't handle hormones get the copper iud my sister uses it. Now if they want to argue paint or glue safety I'm all ears. What makes them special. ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM

It is a slippery slope allowing this.  I mean, I don't like Obamacare but it is one for all and all for one.  Now it isn't that way, companies can tell what they will cover and not.  Pregnancy HAS to be covered on every policy, even men.  Yet, companies such as this, and Catholic companies can not cover any BC at all or can pick and choose.   All in all, don't work for such a company or don't shop there. 

karen2112
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Does your sister work at Hobby Lobby?

Quoting VinVanMom: They sell toys and crafts they have no business yelling employees what prescriptions they will cover. Guess what some religions would say no bc. What then. It's a slippery slope. Women who can't handle hormones get the copper iud my sister uses it. Now if they want to argue paint or glue safety I'm all ears. What makes them special. ?

VinVanMom
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM
No she's a nurse

Quoting karen2112:

Quoting VinVanMom: They sell toys and crafts they have no business yelling employees what prescriptions they will cover. Guess what some religions would say no bc. What then. It's a slippery slope. Women who can't handle hormones get the copper iud my sister uses it. Now if they want to argue paint or glue safety I'm all ears. What makes them special. ?

karen2112
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM

The copper iud is not commonly used. There is also an increased risk of infections when using an iud. Women who want an iud that work in this situation can either pay for it or get insurance on her own. Or switch to condoms.

Quoting VinVanMom: No she's a nurse
Quoting karen2112:

Scribbleprints
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Before Obamacare, since companies weren't required to provide insurance at all (in most states anyways) they could decide what to cover and what not to cover for their employees.  Now, since Obamacare, they can not make those choices--so that's why this issue is even coming up in the courts.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is a slippery slope allowing this.  I mean, I don't like Obamacare but it is one for all and all for one.  Now it isn't that way, companies can tell what they will cover and not.  Pregnancy HAS to be covered on every policy, even men.  Yet, companies such as this, and Catholic companies can not cover any BC at all or can pick and choose.   All in all, don't work for such a company or don't shop there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I always had insurance through any company I worked for or dh worked for and BC was always covered. 

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Before Obamacare, since companies weren't required to provide insurance at all (in most states anyways) they could decide what to cover and what not to cover for their employees.  Now, since Obamacare, they can not make those choices--so that's why this issue is even coming up in the courts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Scribbleprints
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM

But that doesn't mean there was a law to make insurance companies cover that.  Most WANT to cover that because birth control costs much less than paying for childbirth.  But to my knowledge, Hobby Lobby had always provided insurance to their employees, but had specifically choosen insurance that did not cover certain birth control drugs (IUDS, and morning after pills).  They still cover, and I believe have always covered, the regular birth control pill, and other methods of birth control (sponges, sterilization, etc.).  This ruling only affected a few drugs.

Quoting Anonymous:

I always had insurance through any company I worked for or dh worked for and BC was always covered. 

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Catholic schools and churches don't want to cover any and all BC though.  They are a church but they are a business.  I just say, don't work for a place you don't agree with their beliefs.  Obamacare is a blanket insurance to cover most everything at least basics and it was to include BC for all.  Like I said before my girls pay zero for theirs.  After insurance the govt picks up the rest that isn't covered now.  Well, taxpayers, we do. 

Quoting Scribbleprints:

But that doesn't mean there was a law to make insurance companies cover that.  Most WANT to cover that because birth control costs much less than paying for childbirth.  But to my knowledge, Hobby Lobby had always provided insurance to their employees, but had specifically choosen insurance that did not cover certain birth control drugs (IUDS, and morning after pills).  They still cover, and I believe have always covered, the regular birth control pill, and other methods of birth control (sponges, sterilization, etc.).  This ruling only affected a few drugs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN