Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

"We have a lot of money, why can't I have it?" (rant)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Lately my kids have been starting to notice how well off we are. They know they have brand name clothes, we own a nice home, nice cars, ect. The rule in our home is you get a cell phone when you go into middle school. My dd who's 10 has been asking for one since her brother got one for his birthday a few weeks ago (he will be in 6th grade in the fall.) When we told her no she said "But mom we have money. Why can't I have one?" I was sure to correct her. "No. Your father and I have money. Not you. You don't work, we do." And then proceeded to take away her ipad and ipod. She will also be volunteering to see how good she has it. Smh, so disapointed. Thought I raised her better than that.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Your kid is no different from any other kid .......Maybe she could really work for that phone if she really wants one bad enough!

MomOfAwesome
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM
I think its ridiculous that your ten year old has an ipod an a ipad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM
3 moms liked this
The fact that you give small kids all those unnecessary elections and name brand clothing shows that money doesn't always come with class. We have money. And lots of it. But my children EARN things. They work, they volunteer, they plant and harvest, they aren't just given stuff because they turned a specific age. No 11 year old needs a cell phone.

Maybe it's time you reevaluate your parenting skills and your need to show off your money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We have money too and mine didn't get one till HS and they had to have good grades.  My oldest didn't get one till 16.   Too bad.  Tell your kids that one. 

To me NO middle schooler needs a phone.  IF mine did they took one of ours with them and that was rare. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Me too but I see Mom's buying ipads for preschoolers on here.  Mine had to be middle school for an ipod. 

Quoting MomOfAwesome: I think its ridiculous that your ten year old has an ipod an a ipad

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

You're making her volunteer as punishment?

You took her ipad and ipod away for asking a question? 

athorne
by Anna on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM
I wish I had an iPad and an iPod when I was 10. I got excited last year when I got my iPhone. My 2 year cold has a LeapPad and I have thought about getting her a nabi 2 which is just fine for that age. What's crazy though is how my 2 year old figured out how to use my iPhone in no time. :)
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:14 PM
They require iPads here for school starting in first grade. Kids that get free lunch get to rent one for $15 a year.
iPods are cheap. I can't imagine not getting one. My daughter has had an iPod touch since she was in 2nd grade along with every other kid I know.

Quoting MomOfAwesome: I think its ridiculous that your ten year old has an ipod an a ipad
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM
My kids do that too or say that their friend is rich. I correct them and say the parents are. It's a kid thing. They outgrow it soon enough.
MomOfAwesome
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this
That's even more ridiculous that it's " required " to have an ipad for first grade.

Quoting NDADanceMom: They require iPads here for school starting in first grade. Kids that get free lunch get to rent one for $15 a year.
iPods are cheap. I can't imagine not getting one. My daughter has had an iPod touch since she was in 2nd grade along with every other kid I know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)