Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Couldn't they wait ONE DAY to go through late grandmother's things??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
1 mom liked this

My grandmother passed away Saturday morning after a long illness. Her funeral was yesterday and my uncle, with whom she'd been living prior to going into the hospital the first time, told everyone that they were going through her things right after the funeral. Now, she didn't have much and nothing was of any monetary value, but why the rush? Why did they have to do it IMMEDIATELY after the funeral? Couldn't they have waited at least ONE day? Am I wrong to be upset by this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcr17
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM
4 moms liked this

maybe he didn't want the constant reminder?

quinnsmom715
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM
12 moms liked this

death brings out the worst in people.some people see death as ..yeah,i get to go shopping in grandmas house!!

bklynmama716
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM
7 moms liked this
I'm very sorry for your loss.. Please remember that everyone grieves differently. Perhaps for you it would have been comforting to keep grandma's things around longer as a reminder of her.. Perhaps for him that reminder is just too difficult to look at. Maybe ask for a picture or a small piece of jewelry that was hers so you have something to hold on to. When my grandmother passed my mom gave me a simple gold necklace that she used to wear and even though I don't wear it myself, it is very precious to me.
VintageWife
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM
11 moms liked this
Maybe because people would still be in town before heading back home?
Sisteract
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Some people need to move forward while they are in the moment.

PricelessMe
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

If she didnt have a lot...maybe he just wanted to take care of things while everyone was there...emotions run high after the passing of a loved one....try to think of this as a positive not a negative. Be happy to have the ability to have something to remember her by.

Avajay2
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM
4 moms liked this
I understand completely. My great grandmother was 102 when she died. They called us in less than a week before she died and told us they thought her organs were shutting down. My mom immediately began taking her personal things from her room at the nursing home. I was so disgusted. The woman wasn't responding but we had no idea if she could still hear is or not. My mom is standing over her asking my sister and I if we wanted this or that and asking if she could have things. She even went through her clothes. I'll never understand how some people can be such jerks.
143myboys9496

pfft...my grandmother (mom's mom) isn't even dead, not even sick (she's 95) and my aunt, uncle and one of my cousins are fighting over her will.

Basherte
3 moms liked this

My thought is that he wanted to do that while everyone was there.

lady-J-Rock
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I've found that with long term illness the grieving period starts early. By the time grandmother passes it's a relief that she's no longer in pain. She's had time to plan things out and others have had time to figure things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN