Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

they are just shoes

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 165 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok, so my 8yo DS is a treasure finder and he found a pair of Hello Kitty shoes and was very excited that they fit.  He really wanted to wear them so I said that hecould wear them to the Pride parade last weekend.  On our way there I took some pics of him in the shoes  and I posted them on Facebook.  Now almost a week later some of my family members are still making a really big deal about them and saying that he shouldn't be wearing girl shoes (but nobody say a thing when I wear men's shoes) and saying that it is odd and asking if I am trying to mke some sort of statement.  I am so frustrated that I was in tears over this last night and I really don't know how to handle this.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM
6 moms liked this

If you are ok with it thats all that matters. Ignore the haters !

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't buy them for a boy but if you want to and he is ok with it, do it. 

kenneysmama
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM
9 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, I didn't buy them, he literally found them (someone was getting rid of them).  I am going to love and support him no matter how he turns out because anyway you look at it he will always be my son and that is ALL that matters to me.

lskay00
by Stefani on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Shoes are shoes.  I wouldn't care either.  My kiddos would probably grow out of them quickly anyway:)  

KikiKia
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Cute kid!  Don't worry about the naysayers! Live your life and your kid is obviously happy.  also who does not like Hello Kitty?  Who could blame him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Quoting kenneysmama:

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, I didn't buy them, he literally found them (someone was getting rid of them).  I am going to love and support him no matter how he turns out because anyway you look at it he will always be my son and that is ALL that matters to me.

I am not saying not support or love your kid.  You are the one that was so  upset and crying.  If you don't care what others think then why cry???  My SIL is obsessed with hello kitty.  We make fun of her and she is 50.  Well for other reasons that hello kitty really. 

MonarchMom22
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM
22 moms liked this

Look at it this way... You have a chance to see the range of tolerance in your friends and family over a very minor and superficial bit of self expression.  this gives you a good sense of who is like minded and who is likely not going to be a good source of support in the future.

You don't need to say anything or do anything.  just observe and learn about the people around you and make your future choice of how you connect to them accordingly.

your son's a doll.  more power to him.

sapphirelibra
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM
4 moms liked this
Listen very carefully.. Put the shoes in a box and mail them to my dd asap, she LOVES Hello Kitty. Lol!
Keith-IsaacsMom
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM

oh lord....tell your family they are shoes he likes them and they can shut their faces! Hello Kitty is not a girl only show...

booaura
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:01 PM
3 moms liked this
Tell your family that they need to shove it. If they can't support your child being who he is, he doesn't need them in his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)