Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

help a mother out

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok I'm really trying to go all healthy this month for my family. (There are 3 of us plus the baby but he has his own special budget  lol) I have a $200 dollar budget and I have looked up lots of recipes for healthy dinners and the ingredients make me cringe because there is NO way that will last us untill the end of the month. I know i want to try smoothies for my 4 year old because he's really lacking in the veggie department. I am on a low calorie diet and we can NOT eat fish....other than that we are open to suggestions....Please don't leave rude comments I just want someone who is a better food budgeter then myself. 

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM
How about whole wheat pasta and making your own sauce? My spelling of it is really bad but pasta al amatricana or something like that can feed a whole family for about $5 if you don't put the pancetta in.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:21 PM
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Stir fry heavy on the veggies with brown rice.
Keith-IsaacsMom
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM

OKAY THANK YOU! 

MomofBoys838
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:11 AM

You might see if there is a farm co-op in your area.  Sometimes you pick your own veggies for hardly any money.  Great money saver for fresh veggies.

flaquitabss
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:28 AM
I live around lots of farms and I swear they are more expensive than in the store. Because they are "organic" 😞

Quoting MomofBoys838:

You might see if there is a farm co-op in your area.  Sometimes you pick your own veggies for hardly any money.  Great money saver for fresh veggies.

MyHeartDA
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Yogurt, I know fruit is expensive so just do a few of this smoothies, eggs have protein, chicken is always on sale get boneless breasts, cut them up marinate and buy rice and canned veggies, pasta or spaghetti, is inexpensive and has good ingredients, mini carrots an sharp cheddar cheese block slice up and give with crackers, my son loves salad with just a few ingredients my daughter is the sweet tooth so she's hard, make sure they get daily vitamins and no sugar drinks my family loves water cuz I do but I give juice for breakfast to ensure bowel movement daily, oatmeal, how this helps
MyHeartDA
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Yogurt, I know fruit is expensive so just do a few of this smoothies, eggs have protein, chicken is always on sale get boneless breasts, cut them up marinate and buy rice and canned veggies, pasta or spaghetti, is inexpensive and has good ingredients, mini carrots an sharp cheddar cheese block slice up and give with crackers, my son loves salad with just a few ingredients my daughter is the sweet tooth so she's hard, make sure they get daily vitamins and no sugar drinks my family loves water cuz I do but I give juice for breakfast to ensure bowel movement daily, oatmeal, how this helps
MomofBoys838
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM

That's disappointing to hear....'Organic' has cornered the market on veggies :(

Quoting flaquitabss: I live around lots of farms and I swear they are more expensive than in the store. Because they are "organic" 😞
Quoting MomofBoys838:

Keith-IsaacsMom
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Thanks ladies and it looks like with coupons i really won't be changing my plan too much....we have really done a lot of frozen meals and its stupid b/c i have time to cook and i enjoy cooking. I go to the farmers market all the time and get fresh fruti for myself my oldest nor my husband likes anything but fried garabage and its making me fat and them sick and i just think its time for a change. So thank you I will take all your advice and put it to use! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)