Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Head lice???

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

I just got my niece and she has lice... like bad. How do I get rid of it quickly and effectivley??

Mommas Defeating Diabetes high five

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saharra
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Mayonnaise in the hair and let it sit for awhile. When it's done, you need to brush the hair with a metal nit comb. It's annoying. I'm sorry :(

Quoting luv_2babies:

I just got my niece and she has lice... like bad. How do I get rid of it quickly and effectivley??

jazz54
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Let me tell you another way-similar to mayo but I find it works better.  I don't like using pestidcides, and a lot of lice problems are not being solved with them because they are mutating and have become resistant to many pesticide formulas designed for this purpose.  Whe my little girl was in elementary school and we thought she was the only child in her class not to get it.  The nurse missed, but I saw it after her shampoo and bath when I towel dried then parted her hair.  I saw them-huge in the part, and I freaked out!  Ok-this is the best, but just like the lady who suggested mayo , you have to get a metal nit comb.  Nits are the eggs.  It is time consuming.  My daughter had medium-long hair-took about 2 1/2 hours to do it thoroughly.  We saturated her head with olive oil.  Not veg. oil-olive oil-it's thick, less drippy and is conditioning at the same time.   When your done it'll take several washes to get alll the oilyness out, but it's worth it.  So, saturate with olive oil. Let it sit on her head about 20 min.-exact time not impotant.  What happens is that is clogs up the insects breathing and drowns them, and more importantly, it puffs up the eggs so they look like big bubbles-very easy to see.  Normally they are small, easy to miss and difficult to remove.  This way, they puff up, are seen easily and when you go to comb them out (be thouough, section by section) they slide off very easily due to the olive oil.  It's the absolute best way to do it-does the job completely, and NO pesticides necessary! ;-)  When you're ready to start, lay out a couple of big thick towels on the kitchen table and let her lay there.   It's hard for a child to lay there still for that length of time.  Standing or sitting would be like murder-so sore and everything to do it that way.  Let her lay down.  Everytime you run the comb through a section , you must wipe it clean, so get a roll or two of paper towels.  Keep wiping the comb clean and putting the towel in the trash.  When you're all down put the trash out of the house immediately. Now to continue on (it's almost an all day affair), Wash all bedding, stuffed animals, clothing, etc. in the hottest water possible with a little bleach added.  Dry on highest heat setting.  I'd throw her pillow away unless you have a plastic zippered pillow cover on it that can't be penetrated.  I'd steam clean furniture and rugs, and then vacuum everywhere else-then throw vacuum bag away and get it out of the house.  Keep checking her head to be sure you got everything.  The whole thing is a big pain in the ass! But, it has to be done.  Keep checking over a couple of weeks, everyone else in the family's head in case any eggs got on them.  Also wash their bedding, blankets, etc. in hot water and highest heat setting to dry.  In my opinion, this is the very best way to do it.

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Go to walmart and get a kit 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't go to Walmart and get a kit.  Please read my post right before or after that post.  According to that person's user name she may be a nurse.  Surprising that she wouldn't prefer the better and non-toxic treatment.  Sorry, but she's a sucky nurse!

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I recommend buying a Robi-Comb. It's an inexpensive, battery-powered comb that you run through the hair and it zaps the lice and nits and lets you comb them out. No chemicals, no pain (unless the hair's tangled and the comb gets snagged), and it can be redone again and again and again. It's also super easy to use on your own hair so you can check yourself if you don't have someone who can do a good job of that for you.

Pecuellar
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Call your doctor and get the good stuff. 

armytriplets
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

In addition to the recommendation about mayo, I agree that the chemicals available are very harsh as well as ineffective. The Robi comb does get the bugs but is not as effective on the nits. I would also add that a good flea shampoo for dogs added to your laundry is helpful. Tea tree oil is also a great option.

falloutboy
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Save yourself the time and shave her head and buy her a cool wig
jenn75
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Comb, comb, comb! No matter if you used chemicals or not. Comb EVERY hair on her head!

Wash EVERYTHING in your house/car. Carpets, everything.

I use the mayo because it's a more solid oil. Wrap her head in plastic wrap or a cheap shower cap. I say a cheap one because you're going to throw it away afterward. Let it sit on her head for a couple of hours.

Treat her at least once a week, maybe twice for at least three weeks. Including combing!

Treat EVERYONE in the household the same way, including having some one comb through your head.
If any guys in the house, it probably be easier if they could just shave their head/face.
Maries_Mom23
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Go buy Listerine.  Put her in the tub, soak her head in the Listerine, pop a shower cap on her head and let it sit for a few.  Rinse her hair and they live ones will fall off.  Add tea tree oil to your shampoo and conditioner for everyone to use.  Comb, comb, comb...You can also put baby oil on her head, it'll help eggs slide off and live ones too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN