Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are there any words you don't let your kids say?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 179 Replies

While a friend was over with her kids, she cautioned the older against calling his little brother "stupid" and then went on to tell me how she doesn't allow that word to ever be used in any context in her house. I told her I allow mine to use the word "stupid" as long as they're not referring to a person. She said, "Don't let your kids say that around mine! 'Stupid' is OFF LIMITS!" and wagged her finger in my face. I told her they probably wouldn't, but I made no guarantees... after all, it's MY house. She packed her kids up to leave...

Do you prohibit your kids from using certain words? Do you expect others to follow your rule when you're at THEIR house?

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM
3 moms liked this
Their house, their rules. I'm not a fan of censoring. That being said, I don't allow my children to cuss, use the n word, or call people names. I do explain to them why it isn't ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IamMex11
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM
2 moms liked this

STUPID.

HATE THE WORD.

JRSMOM0621
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Outside of the normal cuss words? Nope. However I will have to start to. My inlaws are very very... well... touchy. You cant say damn, crap, frig(or any ig word). Yet they can use racial terms... hmmm dumb people lol

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-)
JTROX
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

No cuss words or words that are meant to replace cuss words such as crap or freakin.

Chicklets13
by Kris on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Not in the sense you're asking, but I don't allow "I can't" or "I'm bored". 

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM

no cuss words, racially or sexual orientation related offensive words, also no r word or calling things gay. ds knows he will be punished immediately if I hear any of that so he doesn't say them. If I were somewhere else and they were talking like that I would leave. 

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I don't really think of that as censoring, but rather applying limits with good reason for doing so. I think it's part of our job as parents to set such limits for them and in this case, explaining why is necessary so they'll know it's not okay to do elsewhere, either. Have you ever heard them saying something you'd asked them not to?

Quoting booaura: Their house, their rules. I'm not a fan of censoring. That being said, I don't allow my children to cuss, use the n word, or call people names. I do explain to them why it isn't ok.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM

But when you're at someone else's house, do you expect them to follow your rule to not say "stupid"?

Quoting IamMex11:

STUPID.

HATE THE WORD.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM

That's weird that they'd not allow cursing or things that replace cursing but will allow racist terms? When they're at your house, do they expect you to avoid all those things?

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Outside of the normal cuss words? Nope. However I will have to start to. My inlaws are very very... well... touchy. You cant say damn, crap, frig(or any ig word). Yet they can use racial terms... hmmm dumb people lol

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I think that's reasonable. Do you expect others to enforce your rule when you're at their house?

Quoting JTROX:

No cuss words or words that are meant to replace cuss words such as crap or freakin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN