Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Please help me understand why everyone thanks soldiers and why they are heroes.

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM
  • 214 Replies
6 moms liked this
I'm serious and I'm not seriously not trying to disrespect anyone or say anything bad.
Yes a long time ago soldiers fought for our freedom and I am thankful for that but now the current war is not about our freedom at all. The troops aren't over there fighting for our freedom, this war has turned into being about money and profit for Haliburton and other big corporations. The soldiers are fed propaganda and led to believe they are there for America but they aren't so why are they considered heroes? Heroes for what exactly?
Go ahead and rip me apart but before you do please just first think about what I'm saying. I'm not saying I hate America or soldiers. I'm saying the job they are doing is not for our freedom, we are free already. The war is about money.
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:54 PM
31 moms liked this
This particular war is not about our freedom, but things can change in a moment.
Basically, they're doing what you and your husband don't have the balls to do.
momofthem311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM
I'm not surprised to get slammed by you and that's ok but are you currently fighting in the war yourself, ya since we don't have the balls do you?
And by the way I wasn't saying soldiers aren't brave, I was asking why the war they are in now makes them heroes. What exactly about this war makes them heroes.

Also my husband was a firefighter for 8 years and is now a volunteer firefighter along with his paying job so he's got plenty of balls. I was 6 months preg when to towers went down and wasn't about to leave my child. I honestly considered joining at one point in my life but leaving my daughter was too hard to do. Judge us how you will.

Quoting EireLass: This particular war is not about our freedom, but things can change in a moment.

DKk0531
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:06 PM
30 moms liked this
It doesn't matter what they are fighting for or aren't fighting for. The point is they signed their name on that dotted line saying, "I understand I could go to war, whatever that war is, and I could lose my life". In my eyes that's what makes them a hero, they gave up their life or are willing to give up their life to fight someone else's fight. I don't agree with war, I don't support war but I will always support the troops
momofthem311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM
See I get that completely. I don't support the war but I do think soldiers are brave for going over and leaving their families. I just wish it was for a better purpose. Corporations have perverted this war and made it into a money making business, I can't see a hero in that. Guess that's just me.

Quoting DKk0531: It doesn't matter what they are fighting for or aren't fighting for. The point is they signed their name on that dotted line saying, "I understand I could go to war, whatever that war is, and I could lose my life". In my eyes that's what makes them a hero, they gave up their life or are willing to give up their life to fight someone else's fight. I don't agree with war, I don't support war but I will always support the troops
Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM
6 moms liked this

i disagree that it doesnt matter what they signed up for.  by that definition the nazi soldiers could be called 'heroes'.  

Quoting DKk0531: It doesn't matter what they are fighting for or aren't fighting for. The point is they signed their name on that dotted line saying, "I understand I could go to war, whatever that war is, and I could lose my life". In my eyes that's what makes them a hero, they gave up their life or are willing to give up their life to fight someone else's fight. I don't agree with war, I don't support war but I will always support the troops

momofthem311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM
That's kind of what I thought. If they know the war they are signing up for is corrupt then how can that be heroic, brave sure but heroic?

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i disagree that it doesnt matter what they signed up for.  by that definition the nazi soldiers could be called 'heroes'.   

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Well then......why dont you tell us all, what is a hero, and who deserves thanks?
Quoting momofthem311: I'm not surprised to get slammed by you and that's ok but are you currently fighting in the war yourself, ya since we don't have the balls do you?
And by the way I wasn't saying soldiers aren't brave, I was asking why the war they are in now makes them heroes. What exactly about this war makes them heroes.

Also my husband was a firefighter for 8 years and is now a volunteer firefighter along with his paying job so he's got plenty of balls. I was 6 months preg when to towers went down and wasn't about to leave my child. I honestly considered joining at one point in my life but leaving my daughter was too hard to do. Judge us how you will.

Quoting EireLass: This particular war is not about our freedom, but things can change in a moment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this
We aren't really free...we are always watched and yes, in a lot of ways, controlled.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL.. what a naive type question from a "child" of privilege.

momofthem311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Well obviously what makes a person a hero is different to everyone.
To me, a hero is someone who selflessly risks their life or their well being for the betterment of another living being, whether it be human or animal. The reason I question whether or not the soldiers in today's war are heroes or not is not because I don't think they aren't brave, it's because this war isn't about us(America). The war is about profit. Enlisting and knowing you are probably going to be sent over there is brave but that's different than being a hero. When soldiers return to their families and loved ones NOTHING is better for them, in fact lots of times they return wounded, mentally and emotionally fucked up and many times the government they worked for doesn't take care of them. Where's the hero in all of that?

Quoting EireLass: Well then......why dont you tell us all, what is a hero, and who deserves thanks?
Quoting momofthem311: I'm not surprised to get slammed by you and that's ok but are you currently fighting in the war yourself, ya since we don't have the balls do you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)