Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How old were you when you moved out?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 212 Replies

My girls, 13 and 14, have been talking a lot lately about how when they move out, they want to do... or they're going to have... Anyway, it made me think about when I moved out at 18. I was definitely NOT ready, but at the same time I really wanted to be out on my own, and it all worked out for the best in the end.

How old were you when you moved out on your own? Were you ready? Did you ever have to move back home for any reason afterwards? 

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I was 23.

cat 

rikanajay0902
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I was 18 as well and I was nowhere near ready, even though I stubbornly thought I was. I never moved back home but definitely struggled. I have a different relationship with my kids than I had with my parents and I stress to mine that there's no need to rush those things. I really want them to stay kids and not push to grow up too quickly. Now don't get me wrong - I don't want them living in my house playing video games for the rest of their lives but I really don't want them to make the same mistakes I did!

snowangel1979
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I moved out at 16. I was ready. Me and my mother have never gotten along.I had been kicked out off and on for 2 years already.

I moved back home at 18 for 6 months and it was a long 6 months of my mother imposing rules that most 12 year olds have. My curfew was dusk, I couldn't work weekends, she kept "grounding" me and I couldn't have anyone but her watch my son. As soon as I saved enough money to buy my old place, I hit the door running. My things were moved in within 3 hours of signing the paperwork.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

18.  Had no choice.  Family lived on the other side of the world.  Had to figure it out fast.  It was hard.  Lived in my car for a while - but am glad I had the challenge.  Too many people expect to be bailed out as soon as hard times hit.  I figured out that I could take care of myself - legally and with pride.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I was 18 yr old..no and thank god no we are makeing it.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:58 PM
KristaP13
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM
I was 17. I guess I was ready, because I have never had to go back.
Sisteract
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM

aimeerd
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Well I was 18 when I moved in to the middle house on my mom's property. Then I moved into my boyfriends house when I was 19 and have been married to him for almost 9 years.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I was 24
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)