Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Any RN's here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My daughter graduated with a BS in nursing in May.  She is taking her NCLEX tomorrow and is worried.  She has me worried now.  She took something called a Kaplan course and has studied the last month.  She graduated with a 3.7 gpa, but is not the best test taker, her really good grades came from papers and projects. Is the NCLEX really hard?  Do most pass the first time?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation!! I've been an RN for 12 years. I can't say the NCLEX was the worst test I've ever taken, just the most stressful. Most tests you can walk away from and know that you either bombed it or did great. After I took my boards, I honestly had no clue how I did. I had to wait 4 days to find out whether or not I passed. I think they can find out the next day, now!! (Luckily I passed the first time.)

But from what I understand, they do a lot more critical thinking prep in nursing school now than they did when I graduated. And I also heard that Kaplan is a great program. I had a few friends that didn't pass the first time and they took the Kaplan program and then passed the second time.

Good luck to your daughter tomorrow!!! Let us know how she does! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  Maybe I can sleep a little tonight.  :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation!! I've been an RN for 12 years. I can't say the NCLEX was the worst test I've ever taken, just the most stressful. Most tests you can walk away from and know that you either bombed it or did great. After I took my boards, I honestly had no clue how I did. I had to wait 4 days to find out whether or not I passed. I think they can find out the next day, now!! (Luckily I passed the first time.)

But from what I understand, they do a lot more critical thinking prep in nursing school now than they did when I graduated. And I also heard that Kaplan is a great program. I had a few friends that didn't pass the first time and they took the Kaplan program and then passed the second time.

Good luck to your daughter tomorrow!!! Let us know how she does! 

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM

How did it go?? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

She passed!!  She was in a horrible state though.  Two other girls she graduated with had posted on facebook that they passed at 75 questions.  My daughter said when the counter went to 76 and she was still answering she turned off the counter.  She said approx 10 questions later she felt like she felt like she couldn't even concentrate and was answering all the questions wrong.   Her computer shut down at what she thought was around 90-95 questions and she was 99% sure she failed.  She said she even took a wrong turn going back to her apartment she was so distraught thinking she failed.  She said she did some "trick" where you sign back into Kaplan and if you passed they won't let you enter your credit card to retake??  She couldn't enter her card so she thought maybe she did pass.  They said she wouldn't get the official results for about 2 wks, but last night around 5 pm she got a congratulations from the state board and her official license!    We talked the night before she took it and she said she knew not to panic because there can be a total of 265 questions I think she said, but she said she when she knew the other two girls only answered 75 she just lost it.  Thanks for asking.   I know you didn't want this long winded reply!

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

She passed!!  She was in a horrible state though.  Two other girls she graduated with had posted on facebook that they passed at 75 questions.  My daughter said when the counter went to 76 and she was still answering she turned off the counter.  She said approx 10 questions later she felt like she felt like she couldn't even concentrate and was answering all the questions wrong.   Her computer shut down at what she thought was around 90-95 questions and she was 99% sure she failed.  She said she even took a wrong turn going back to her apartment she was so distraught thinking she failed.  She said she did some "trick" where you sign back into Kaplan and if you passed they won't let you enter your credit card to retake??  She couldn't enter her card so she thought maybe she did pass.  They said she wouldn't get the official results for about 2 wks, but last night around 5 pm she got a congratulations from the state board and her official license!    We talked the night before she took it and she said she knew not to panic because there can be a total of 265 questions I think she said, but she said she when she knew the other two girls only answered 75 she just lost it.  Thanks for asking.   I know you didn't want this long winded reply!

Awesome!!!! Congratulations to your daughter!!!!! 

I did the same thing. Once my computer went to question #76, I started crying. So many of my friends had the computer shut off at 75. Mine went up to 210!!! I was in a panic. Does your daughter have a job lined up yet? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Yes she does.  She is in the OR.  If she had failed she would have been reassigned to something called a "scrub nurse" with reduced pay and benefits till she retook the exam.   How awful that would have been.   She told me she even looked up success rates for 2nd time attempts and said it went way down to 50% pass rate! Oh my you held it together to question 210?   I honestly think my daughter would have totally fallen apart long before she got there.  I admire you for holding it together!!  What type of nursing do you do?

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

I did the same thing. Once my computer went to question #76, I started crying. So many of my friends had the computer shut off at 75. Mine went up to 210!!! I was in a panic. Does your daughter have a job lined up yet? 

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

haha!! I barely held it together!!! I was a sobbing mess! lol  I'm so glad that is over!!

I worked in med-surg/detox for the first 5 years, post-op for 7yrs and I've been on a cardiac observation unit for the past year. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes she does.  She is in the OR.  If she had failed she would have been reassigned to something called a "scrub nurse" with reduced pay and benefits till she retook the exam.   How awful that would have been.   She told me she even looked up success rates for 2nd time attempts and said it went way down to 50% pass rate! Oh my you held it together to question 210?   I honestly think my daughter would have totally fallen apart long before she got there.  I admire you for holding it together!!  What type of nursing do you do?

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for helping a "old" mother through this process.   I was so rattled.....I am a little too close to her I think...a downfall of having a only child I guess.  Thanks again.

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

haha!! I barely held it together!!! I was a sobbing mess! lol  I'm so glad that is over!!

I worked in med-surg/detox for the first 5 years, post-op for 7yrs and I've been on a cardiac observation unit for the past year. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM

You're welcome!! Congratulations and good luck to your daughter!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks for helping a "old" mother through this process.   I was so rattled.....I am a little too close to her I think...a downfall of having a only child I guess.  Thanks again.

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I was wondering if you ever questioned your choice of profession or have you always loved nursing?  My daughter told me last night she is not "loving" her job and is questioning whether she made the best choice for herself.  Ugh.....didn't expect this.  She is being trained under another RN in the operating room of a large teaching hospital. she signed a 2 yr contract when she was hired.  She said nothing really bothers her and she will stay with it, but she finds it rather boring and the days drags.   Do you have any thoughts on this unhappy news I received last night??

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

You're welcome!! Congratulations and good luck to your daughter!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

How did it go?? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)