Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you find this doll offensive?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 33 Replies

Doll With Penis Called 'Inappropriate' by Uptight Parents​

by Mary Fischer

penis doll

Uh-oh. A new toy on the market has some parents all bent out of shape, all because it's anatomically correct, which is, you know -- scandalous!

The Toys R' Us doll has a penis and is part of the You & Me Mommy Change My Diaper doll collection. And since the thing went on sale, Facebook has been blowing up with comments from parents who are deeming the doll to be "inappropriate" and "unnecessary."

Did I mention it also cries when its underpants are wet?

Yep. This thing is just about as realistic as plastic babies can possibly get.

And while this photo doesn't depict the actual doll, it gives you a good idea of what has people all in a tizzy.

penis doll

Boom! That's a penis, all right -- but is this really such a big deal? It's not like it's a life-sized doll of a grown man or something ... it's a baby. And the last time I checked, baby boys do have penises, so doesn't it kind of make sense for this thing to have one as opposed to taking off its diaper and finding ... nothing down there?

And given the young age of children who typically play with baby dolls, it's not like they're going to look at this toy and go, "OMG! It has a penis!" If anything, they won't even bat an eyelash, since they haven't yet learned to associate parts of the body with anything sexual.

The only reason this doll is at all controversial is because some parents are making it that way. As for whether or not I'd have a problem letting my child play with it? Nope. Not at all. Granted, maybe I'm a little bit biased because I have a boy. Seeing the same body part that he has would not faze him in the slightest -- but by the same token, I really doubt I'd have an issue with it if I had a daughter either. I'd honestly rather her ask me why her baby doll has different parts than she does than have her inquire as to why there are none. (Just sayin'.)

On that note, it's your turn to weigh in.

Do you find this doll offensive?

Images via Toys R' Us; Johanna Thomas

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rgba
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:43 AM
No. In fact, we got my son a doll before his brother was born, and this one would have been great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM
I don't see the big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
henrysmom96
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM

No, they sell "anatomically correct" dolls for a reason. Some people are too uptight.

MaMaCathy
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I remember growing up there was a doll I believe was called Baby Brother Tender Love. Looked almost identical to the photo above. I don't see it as a big deal.

Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:08 AM
I don't c an issue wad thinking of getting one for DD when baby boy gets here
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I'm almost 35 years old and I had a set of dolls when I was around 7 that were anatomically correct. I had the boy and the girl. LOL This has definitely been around awhile.
codfish
by Jeanette on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Some people just need to get over themselves. If you don't want your child to have it don't buy it.
LadySaphira
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think some people need to get the stick out of their asses. Baby boys have penises, why hide it? Instead use it as a tool in teaching your children the differences between boys and girls.

I had a baby Joey Bunker doll when I was a kid and it had a penis..not that big of a deal. It didn't scar me and it didn't turn me into some sort of sexual deviant or cause me to be promiscuous.

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM
No.
AmaliaD
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM
In daycare we had baby dolls with genitals. Helped us talk about boys / girls why girls sit to pee. I have a problem with dolls who DON'T. Have real body parts. I always found it weird that barbie and Ken had nothing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)