Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why do folks think this is cute/cool?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
I've a sister who is always using funky text speak online, and I don't mean common acronyms like TTYL or IDK, either. I mean purposefully misspelled words like "wen" instead of "when" or "lyk" instead of "like"... It's crazy annoying to try to make out her posts because of the many stupid "shortcuts" she takes, some of which aren't even shorter. Why does she think this is a good thing? Have you seen people do this, too? Does it bug you?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sigmalade
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Yes, it bugs me. My cousin sent me a message and I had to call her to ask her what she meant! I can't stand the facebook posts with all those misspelled words and just pass them. Even up here, I can understand a misspelled word, but your entire thought can not be, or should not be, a mangled mess of the English language.

Reese2010727
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate it too...what pisses me off the most is nun for nothing and sum for something!!

aurora.dove
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I had several on my facebook that did that. I started deleting them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It is annoying.  I skip any post here too.  If you can't type out words I don't have time to decipher misspelled words or shorthand. 

ejkdmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM

It's a thing.  My son does it when talking with his friends and such and I see other "youngins" do it, but I hate it.  He is not allowed to do that when he has to text me.

You will love this song "Word Crimes" by Wierd Al.  it is all about that word issue and is set to "Blurred Lines".  I laughed so hard I almost peed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

fostermommy1
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I never use text speak.  I spell everything out.  It's just annoying and lazy.

Teeshann
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:26 PM

it would probably drive me crazy. luckily the people i talk to don't type like that.

babyblue415
by SwedensFinest on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:32 PM
That song is hilarious

Quoting ejkdmom:

It's a thing.  My son does it when talking with his friends and such and I see other "youngins" do it, but I hate it.  He is not allowed to do that when he has to text me.

You will love this song "Word Crimes" by Wierd Al.  it is all about that word issue and is set to "Blurred Lines".  I laughed so hard I almost peed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:32 PM
What do u mean? I thawt it wuz kool wen peepul did weird stuff lyke that.

LOL!!!! Just kidding! I can't stand it either!
squeekers
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:34 PM

tell her to use a dictionary as you cannot understand her shorthand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)