Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

If you're going to buy alcohol and you're under 40 take your ID... PERIOD!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

I work at a retail store. In the last 24 hours I have had or witnessed another coworker who had to deal with a person attempting to buy alcohol. NONE of which had their ID or the person with them of drinking age had their ID.

In the first instance the woman didn't have her ID with her. She was around 26 or so. And then tried to get some guys, I think, who were with her to buy it. Nope, can't allow that either. Then she came back in (with her ID) and I waited on her. She said the employee had refused her the alcohol because she had her two year old with her. I'm thinking, 'What?' (I thought that sounded awful strange and didn't really believe her. I learned the whole story from the coworker after she left.)

Second incident a 40 (possibly 50) something mother comes in to buy alcohol and has her 21 year old daughter with her. Daughter doesn't have her ID with her. Mom said, "it's mine, I'm not sharing." I explained to her something like I'm sure that's true but your daughter is of drinking age and is with you so I need her ID too. Here's why (I didn't actually explain this to her but will the next time.)... If I were to sell to you and then a cop outside saw you both walk out together with the alcohol and asked for her ID to confirm her age and she didn't have it not only would your daughter be in trouble but I would too and I could lose my job and possibly face criminal charges.

The third instance she was close enough to 40 that I went ahead and allowed her purchase but reminded her that our store policy is if you are between the ages of 21 and appearing to be 40 we need to see your ID.

And if someone with you is under 21 and not your child I can refuse the sale. Just because you say it is your alcohol doesn't mean you won't buy it and share later. If something happened and you got caught and that purchase was traced back to our store and to me I would get in trouble and so would you.

And no I also can't sell the alcohol to someone else with you either. If one person doesn't have their ID I cannot sell to any of you.

I once carded a group of about eight women even though only three of them were buying alcohol because they were all together which I could easily tell. And I could not make a single sale until I verified everyone was of legal age. They were a very friendly group of ladies who made my job very easy and all complied.

EDIT: I did have an instance where I had a mother with a 17 year old son. When I asked for his ID (he looked older) she explained he was 17 and her son. I allowed the purchase and later asked management about it. They said it was at the cashier's descretion.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Piggly Wiggly asks everyone even if you are 100.  They put in your Birth date. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM

My dd is 20 1/2 and looks to be about 12.  She will be carded forever. 

Sportbominable
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the rule for carding everyone even if they are not purchasing must vary by state. I live in PA and we have state stores for liquor and beer distributors for beer and wine coolers. They only card the person purchasing, but they can refuse to sell to someone if they believe they are purchasing for underage people. 

falloutboy
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM
This is me. I'm 24 and I had a lady tell me I look 17 just today. Buying booze is a nightmare half of the time.

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM

She is 4 ft 10 and 92lbs. 

Quoting falloutboy: This is me. I'm 24 and I had a lady tell me I look 17 just today. Buying booze is a nightmare half of the time.
Quoting atlmom2:

falloutboy
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Mobile Photo

I'm not that tiny, but I guess I have a young look to me.

Quoting atlmom2:

She is 4 ft 10 and 92lbs. 

Quoting falloutboy: This is me. I'm 24 and I had a lady tell me I look 17 just today. Buying booze is a nightmare half of the time.

Quoting atlmom2:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Im glad thats not the law here.
babyblue415
by SwedensFinest on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM
So keep whoever dont have id waiting in the car?
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I always have my id with me... I'm almost 40 and get carded every single time. 

Dh and I had the kids with us one night at Target and he wanted some beer, so we got some and when we were checking out, the cashier told us that she could not sell us alcohol without both of our ids as the children were minors...Dh and I looked at her like she was crazy and politely told her she was incorrect as GA law does not state this. She proceeded to argue with us and tell us she could not sell us the beer. 

Well, I shop there all the time, so I know just about everyone there. I snagged one of the cashiers I know and she was stunned when I told her the issue. She looked at the cashier in question and told her she was wrong and to sell us the alcohol...she only has to card one of us and having children with us does not matter at all. I did contact management so they were aware of her incorrect information. He apologized profusely. I told him I was not angry, and just wanted to let him know of the issue so it could be corrected. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I never had to show my ID when I'm with someone buying alcohol. I have never even heard of that before. I even bring my 17yo sister with me and they never try to card her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)