Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Debate: is this rude?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: Is using a random driveway to turn around acceptable or rude?

Options:

Perfectly acceptable!

Completely rude!

I may or may not do it but don't like other ppl trespassing on my property...

It was considered rude before but it's now an outdated notion.

It's only rude if it's dark bc your headlights shine into their home

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

We r having a light hearted discussion on our road trip abt turning around in driveways of ppl u don't know. Half of us were raised that it is rude and the other half think it's fine. So weigh in! Is it rude to pull into a random driveway to turn ur car around instead of going a bit further to find a public place/go around the block on a public street, or is it perfectly acceptable to use someone's driveway property (cars may be present or not) bc it's made for cars and ppl don't mind it being used to help someone out?

EDIT: Wow I've been featured again! This is like all but one post I've ever made (and I think I've only ever done 5 or 6 lol). To respond and add more detail after seeing some responses, on pg 3 I replied to one response to state that everyone in the car discussing this agreed that the driveway is private property but that no one is getting out of the car if ur just turning around. In addition, I'm adding another voting option to state that some might think there's a difference depending on if it's day or night as headlights shine into windows and things and NOBODY takes the time to turn off their headlights (or the car doesn't even allow it) during the minute in which in takes to turn around ;). So do u ladies think that changes things (day vs night)?
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if its rude or not but I do it lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I have done it before. 

shari102476
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I do it all the time and I swear, without fail, every single time the owner of the home just happens to be wanting to pull in as I'm turning around. I mean COME ON, REALLY? Of all these houses I pick that one? Lmao
thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:03 AM

I've done it, I've never heard anything about it being rude. I do avoid the yards that have people in them though, just to make sure no one pulls a shot gun on me and shoots, LOL.

gracef282
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:32 AM
Depends which drive way.. I think everyone's do it...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:37 AM
2 moms liked this

It is neither rude nor not rude-it is just necessary sometimes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I always go further and use the road. I have never used someone's driveway. We have a wide and long driveway and people would use it frequently. It's annoying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I have people do it in my driveway all the time and it bugs me to no end!!!! They are inconsiderate! I have had people almost hit me as I was coming down my driveway because they were too lazy to go 4 more houses to the corner and go around the freaking block!!!  Not to mention that I have a gravel driveway and when they stop hard at the bottom it makes dips in the gravel and when I'm riding the motorcycle down the driveway it can be a little precarious.

I say take your lazy ass down to the corner and go around the block!!

nurse1997
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Depends end of the driveway I think is fine but driving all the way up rude !

jenn75
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM
I live in a rural area so if you need to turn around you pretty much have to use someone's driveway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)