Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for opinions on child's rash

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I normally am super calm and rational when it comes to medical stuff but this rash is freaking me out. This is on my 11 year old son. He first noticed his arm had a little rash yesterday, and I saw a few bumps on his back. No big deal, it's hot and he's been active and sweaty. Cool shower, and go shirtless for a while.
These pics were after a cool shower this evening. And the one of his ankle is what made me start to worry. It doesn't look exactly like the Lyme disease "bull's eye" I saw on medical websites, but similar. I asked him about it. He said he's had a mosquito bite there for "a week or two".
I'm a little more freaked out because we were camping two weeks ago and we found several ticks on other people and a friend's dog.
He has no other symptoms other than the rash, which is itchy.
Would you let it run it's course another day or two, or call the doctor for an urgent visit first thing tomorrow?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockchickmom
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:57 AM

http://www.babycenter.com/101_visual-guide-to-childrens-rashes-and-skin-conditions_10332129.bc

Highlight and search it will take you there.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:58 AM

The bottom pic looks like ring worm to me.  The rash on his back, looks a little bit like poison ivy.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Thanks ladies. Still baffled and waiting for doctor's office to call back.
The body rash has cleared up some. I don't think the back could be poison ivy, as it's been two weeks since he's been anywhere that he could have come in contact with that.
The ankle thing could be ringworm, but none of the pics I saw of that had the small "hole" in the middle. That appears as though something bit/stung him.
Guess we just wait to see what the dr says.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Instead of asking uneducated in the medical field moms and going crazy with useless websites, make the appointment, if it's nothing, oh well, but if it is something to be concern about, you don't want to wait because some people are guessing.

You don't play with your kid's health; it's irresponsible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Oh, get off your high horse already. First, if you could read, you'd see that I'm waiting for the office to call back. Trying to get in today if possible. Second, I asked last night because I wasn't going to run to the emergency room and thought there might be someone who DOES work in the medical field onlinethat could give some insight if they'd seen something like this before.
I'm not playing with my kid's health. But thanks for the unnecessary lecture.

Quoting Anonymous:

Instead of asking uneducated in the medical field moms and going crazy with useless websites, make the appointment, if it's nothing, oh well, but if it is something to be concern about, you don't want to wait because some people are guessing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM

you said:"Would you let it run it's course another day or two, or call the doctor for an urgent visit first thing tomorrow?"

That's not waiting for the appointment, that's wondering if taking in or not. CM is not a doctor nor replaces one

Quoting Anonymous: Oh, get off your high horse already. First, if you could read, you'd see that I'm waiting for the office to call back. Trying to get in today if possible. Second, I asked last night because I wasn't going to run to the emergency room and thought there might be someone who DOES work in the medical field onlinethat could give some insight if they'd seen something like this before. I'm not playing with my kid's health. But thanks for the unnecessary lecture.
Quoting Anonymous:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:06 PM
I have Lyme disease. It is not to be taken lightly. I would take him for a test. And if not sure, with the history, put him on at least 1 round (28 days) of Doxycycline. I did not develop a rash.
But really, my gut tells me he has a heat rash, and poison ivy.
mewebb82
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM
The rash on his chest and arms just looks like heat rash to me. The 3rd picture is definitely something else that needs to be looked at. It almost looks like ring worm or possibly a staph rash......or it could be something else entirely. I would get it looked at though just to be safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM
I was looking for opinions out of curiosity backside if was late at night and I couldn't exactly call the doctor. You can rest your judgmental mind that I do not rely in CM to diagnose and treat my children's health concerns!

For the NON judgmental moms, thanks for your input. We have an appointment on Wednesday with instructions to call if rash worsened or any other symptoms popped up.

The body rash has drastically subsided. Pretty sure it's was just a heat rash. The thing on his ankle is cocerning. A friend (who is a nurse) doubts it's ringworm because of the bite mark in the center. She said it is characteristic of Lyme Disease, but given the exposure definitely worth test in for. She also mentioned a possible staph infection from a bug bite. Thanks again for your insight! :)
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

It is a rash of some kind it could be poison oak, or poison Ivy. Give it a day or two and don't cover it up and use anti bacteria  soap don't cover it up let it breathe. As far as the mark goes he could of scratched it I highly doubt a bug took out a chunk like that and he didn't see it or feel it !  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)