Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why don't people have sympathy for suicides?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 393 Replies
38 moms liked this

The publicity around Robin Williams' death has me wondering about those who are reacting with so much anger and hatred about the fact that he appears to have taken his own life. Yes, I get that it's often seen as a selfish or cowardly act, but why don't people understand that suicides usually result from a life spent struggling with addiction, depression, or other illness? Why can't people show some compassion for the poor soul who felt there was no other way, or for the family and friends left behind to deal with it all? What about considering the positive impact they made on the world all while burying their pain internally?

In Williams' case, he did tons of charity work, devoted a lot of time to entertaining the troops, and truly sought to make a difference in the world, even while he made us laugh with Mrs. Doubtfire, think with Dead Poets Society, or maybe just shake our head like with License to Wed. The fact that he took his own life doesn't negate all of that, or mean we shouldn't care that he's gone. He was a human being and worthy of some compassion just on that alone, but he also suffered and for that we should be truly sincerely sorry and looking into our own lives for others around us who may be privately suffering just as much as he did.

Why don't people have sympathy for suicides?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM
30 moms liked this
Because they are ignorant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM
4 moms liked this

They live in perfect little worlds and have no sense of reality.

mewebb82
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM
33 moms liked this
There are a lot of misconceptions about depression and addiction. People who have never dealt with either often don't understand the toll it really takes on a person or that both are a mental illness and not just a weakness. It's incredibly sad and he had been trying to get help for years but I guess his battle was just too much for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

That must be it. I know if I'd lost someone to suicide I'd be personally angry that they did that and sad that I lost them and upset that I didn't know and wasn't able to help them avoid it. The really nasty comments coming out about this are even worse than those when Paul Walker had his wreck - with that, people acted like he'd been driving drunk and street racing with a kid strapped to the hood or something and deserved to die in that fiery wreck. This, well, people are all but saying "good riddance to bad garbage." It's just so sad that they can't see....

Quoting momofthem311: Because they are ignorant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM
7 moms liked this

I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of petulant toddlers over this in some places, they're just that argumentative and snotty about the whole thing. Hopefully they never endure such a tragedy to burst their perfect bubbles.

Quoting Anonymous:

They live in perfect little worlds and have no sense of reality.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, they really don't get that and they seem to lack just basic compassion for another living being. It really makes me wonder what's wrong with those people and our society as a whole for so many to be so clueless and so cold.

Quoting mewebb82: There are a lot of misconceptions about depression and addiction. People who have never dealt with either often don't understand the toll it really takes on a person or that both are a mental illness and not just a weakness. It's incredibly sad and he had been trying to get help for years but I guess his battle was just too much for him.

themaurer7
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
It's sad. And unless they themselves have ever struggled with depresdion and thoughts of suicide, they will never truly understand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Ok I think you really want to know WHY people lack sympathy for robin Williams ' suicide. When a person with terminal illness ends their life people don't get mad at them. The reason why people are angry with him Is that the world was his oyster. He could have done ANYTHING, he was rich, famous, loved, respected, etc. There are depressed people struggling with truly pathetic lives. I have a fb friend who's whole life revolves around a 6 yr old pug named Arleen. She has no family alive, no boyfriend or husband, lives out of state and doesnt appear to have friends, has always been an outcast, didn't believe in herself until late in life so she doesn't have a career despite a college education. She has literally an apartment, car and dog. So it's hard for her to wrap her head around why r.w. Would succumb to his sadness, if she can make it. And she's mad at him for leaving his pug and kids behind before he had to. There's also a handful of people who think he wasn't really that talented, playing the same basic character in every movie. And he had more than he ever deserved. So he had the world on a silver platter, and that wasn't enough for him. Which is lame. It's the sentiment of acceptance of quitters that enrages those who still are fighting the fight with much less ammo.
cupomeow
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it is because it seems wasteful. To take a gift that he gave to the public with his talent and throw it away. The problem is that people get to know a celebrity through interview and the characters they play and they feel they know them. They sometimes feel as if they are connected to that person. So when that famous person takes that away though suicide it is like a betrayal.
We need more awareness when it comes to mental illness. Anyone can be affected even someone who spent his life making people laugh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM
7 moms liked this
I have bipolar disorder and have attempted suicide. I do feel that it is an ultimately selfish decision. I understand the pain and heartache he must have been dealing with. I do know how hard a battle it is, and I do feel sympathy for him that he lost his fight. However, I feel more sympathy for the family and loved ones he left behind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)