Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is back-to-school shopping expensive for you?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM
  • 166 Replies

Some parents I know buy all sorts of things for their kids for the start of school, not just the required supplies like paper, crayons, and pencils, but also practically a new wardrobe and all kinds of extras that aren't really necessary. 

That's fine for them but over the top to me, so we usually just buy a new outfit for the first day and maybe new shoes or something they truly need. I *might* spend $200 for both girls when all is said and done, including the required supplies.

backpack

What about you? Is shopping for your kids for them to go back to school expensive, or are you able to keep things reasonable?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM
We spent 100 on school supplies for both kids, ordered them through the school.

Spent about 350 on clothes/shoes/underthings for them this weekend. That was mostly for our 12 yr old daughter. Our 6 yr old still needs a few things. It's always different how much we spend every year, it depends on what we can afford at the time.
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM

We do buy pretty much new wardrobe. My kids would start back on shorts and short sleeved shirts. Within a month they could be wearing pants and shirts with a hoodie or jacket. I live in New England. We need clothes for all kinds of weather. Kids grow. Shoes seem to be outgrown often. Our schools require sneakers be bought and left at school. Only to be worn in gym. So footwear for back to school for my boys was 2 pr sneakers, 1 pr shoes, 1 pr of work boots (Timberlands) and until HS snowboots. Thats a couple hundred right there. So yes I did spend a lot of money each start of school.

reche1978
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM

it is expensive for us but doable so its worth it

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, our spending varies from year to year, too, depending on what we can afford and what they need. This year we were in the $200 range because we had to buy a special scientific calculator that was $50. Do you buy them lots of clothing just so they'll have some things that are newer for the year, or do you just focus on replacing what they've outgrowned or ruined, etc.?

Quoting momofthem311: We spent 100 on school supplies for both kids, ordered them through the school. Spent about 350 on clothes/shoes/underthings for them this weekend. That was mostly for our 12 yr old daughter. Our 6 yr old still needs a few things. It's always different how much we spend every year, it depends on what we can afford at the time.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

It stays pretty warm here in Alabama for the first couple of months of school and then they'll need to start worrying about lightweight jackets and things like that for cooler temps, so I try to just get their initial needs covered and pick up the cooler weather stuff once we're closer to needing that. They definitely do grow fast, though, and some clothing just doesn't hold up that well, either. How many kids do you have?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

We do buy pretty much new wardrobe. My kids would start back on shorts and short sleeved shirts. Within a month they could be wearing pants and shirts with a hoodie or jacket. I live in New England. We need clothes for all kinds of weather. Kids grow. Shoes seem to be outgrown often. Our schools require sneakers be bought and left at school. Only to be worn in gym. So footwear for back to school for my boys was 2 pr sneakers, 1 pr shoes, 1 pr of work boots (Timberlands) and until HS snowboots. Thats a couple hundred right there. So yes I did spend a lot of money each start of school.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Is it something you try to budget for ahead of time, or do you just wing it when it's time?

Quoting reche1978:

it is expensive for us but doable so its worth it

PeachQuean
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Our schools in my Ontario city supply all.school supplies.

But it's super cheap for me, my 12 and 6 yr old buy their own school clothes, and personal use items for back to.school.

I.don't spend a dime. Lol
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Quoting Cafe Steph:

It stays pretty warm here in Alabama for the first couple of months of school and then they'll need to start worrying about lightweight jackets and things like that for cooler temps, so I try to just get their initial needs covered and pick up the cooler weather stuff once we're closer to needing that. They definitely do grow fast, though, and some clothing just doesn't hold up that well, either. How many kids do you have?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

just 2

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM

My oldest son is the only one going back to school my yougnest doesn't start school until he is 3. School supplies for my oldest wasn't really expenise at all we spent around $60.00 and we didn't buy tons of clothes we only bought him what he need for the first day and that was an outfit and shoes and that only cost $40.00.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Wow, that's great that the schools provide what's needed! Do you have to pay a school fee, or is it free?

How do your 12yo and 6yo buy their own clothes?

Quoting PeachQuean: Our schools in my Ontario city supply all.school supplies. But it's super cheap for me, my 12 and 6 yr old buy their own school clothes, and personal use items for back to.school. I.don't spend a dime. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN