Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st grade teachers!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Hi

I'm new to the whole school thing, my dd is going to 1st grade.

They left summer homework, we already did it; the reading homework was to read a book and write a different beginning and ending, summarize and write other things, there are a lot of things that she still writes like they sound to her.

My question is, am I supposed to correct those words so it's cright or leave her mistake for the teacher?.

This is going to be fun, all learning.

Ps. I did not grow up here in America, so my school experience is way different.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM

You should leave it as is so the teacher can see her own writing without correcting the errors. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thanks, that is what I thought, but you see so many teachers complaining that kids don't get the help from parents at home, that is hard to know anymore the right way, especially, without experience :)

Quoting Anonymous:

You should leave it as is so the teacher can see her own writing without correcting the errors. 

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM
WOW you had summer homework? I have never heard of that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM

yup, and it's our first year in this school.

I have never agreed with summer homework nor with a lot of homework every day; they say is not healthy for people to bring work home and that people need family time and now homework is a lot, doesn't really serve any purpose (the excesive part) and how are kids going to have family time when all they do at home is homework?

I read somewhere that the idea of homework is for the kids that have parents at home who care for the kids education to help and answer all their questions so when they get to school, the teachers can help the kids with no family support.

And one more thing, they also sent the answer sheet for the math homework... if parents need the answers of 1st grade math addition and substraction, we as a country are in a lot of trouble... SHM

Quoting lapcounter: WOW you had summer homework? I have never heard of that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Later on it is ok to point out errors, but at this point I wouldn't.  Like when mine were older dh would look at the girls homework for math and tell them what problems were wrong and make them re do them until they were right.  Not do it for them but have them redo them.  At this point the teacher needs to see just how your daughter writes on her own. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks, that is what I thought, but you see so many teachers complaining that kids don't get the help from parents at home, that is hard to know anymore the right way, especially, without experience :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM

We always found time for outside activities, homework and family time.  You just have to plan.  Its not like my kids wanted to spend 5 hours every night with parents.  No kid wants to anyway.  None I know. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never agreed with summer homework nor with a lot of homework every day; they say is not healthy for people to bring work home and that people need family time and now homework is a lot, doesn't really serve any purpose (the excesive part) and how are kids going to have family time when all they do at home is homework?

I read somewhere that the idea of homework is for the kids that have parents at home who care for the kids education to help and answer all their questions so when they get to school, the teachers can help the kids with no family support.

And one more thing, they also sent the answer sheet for the math homework... if parents need the answers of 1st grade math addition and substraction, we as a country are in a lot of trouble... SHM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM

She was trying to write pretty and kept coming with prite, I told her to sound it out and try to figure it out and she came back after looking in a book with the word beautiful instead of pretty...  I don't solve her problems, I try to help her figure it out.

One thing I hated from my dad was that every time I asked what did a word meant, his answer was the same, look in the dictionary, guess what? the words I looked up I never forgot how to write them...

Quoting Anonymous:

Later on it is ok to point out errors, but at this point I wouldn't.  Like when mine were older dh would look at the girls homework for math and tell them what problems were wrong and make them re do them until they were right.  Not do it for them but have them redo them.  At this point the teacher needs to see just how your daughter writes on her own. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM

The problem is that for what I've heard from parents in the same district, homework has became impossible, hours on end at night, even for 1st graders.

And I agree, no kid likes homework and I don't think parents either, we just have to pretend it's normal :)

Quoting Anonymous:

We always found time for outside activities, homework and family time.  You just have to plan.  Its not like my kids wanted to spend 5 hours every night with parents.  No kid wants to anyway.  None I know. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Mine didn't have first grade homework, but they did in 2nd.  The worst year ever was for my oldest, 5th grade.  She had homework from the time she got home till bed every day.  Her teacher said she would really be ready for 6th grade and she was right.  Homework was a little less but she was more prepared than other kids who's teachers gave way less homework in 5th.  I have to say in HS my girls were rarely swamped but they didn't take AP classes either.  Of course there was some bad nights but that was rare.  I would say 2 hours most nights max and that isn't bad for HS at all.  They had 6 hours by the time they got home from school until bedtime and even if they had an activitiy most of the time they had at least 3 to 4 hours for homework and dinner and showers etc. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem is that for what I've heard from parents in the same district, homework has became impossible, hours on end at night, even for 1st graders.

And I agree, no kid likes homework and I don't think parents either, we just have to pretend it's normal :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Parents hate homework.  I was so glad when my baby graduated HS, lol.  No more homework battles. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)