Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you/your kid put together the school supplies or do you wait?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM
  • 10 Replies
I was just checking everything off dd's supply list and packing it in her backpack but it doesn't all fit. I'm thinking I should put her tab dividers and a pack of paper and her pencil pouch in her zipper binder and put her pens, pencils, scissors, etc. In her pouch. i had a hard time finding some of the things on her list and had to pay a premium price for them so I wrote her name on these items already. I'm just worried the teacher might have a different plan. Thoughts?
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom23heathens
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM
:)
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM
We order them through our school, it no hassle and it's wonderful!
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Sorry I didn't have any suggestions
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM

My dd's always put it all together themselves how they wanted it.  I never wrote names on anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:45 AM

I'm not sure of your daughters age, but as an elementary teacher, I encourage you to wait.  Things may not go where you think they'll go.  For example, when I had older kids, I'd ask for paper, but it didn't go in the binder.  I didn't want all of their scissors and stuff in their pouch.  

And I definitely didn't want all of their pencils in their pouch getting beaten to death and ruined.  That would be a complete waste of your money.  When pencils get beaten around in a book bag or desk, the lead inside gets broken into a million little pieces, so when you sharpen them, the piece of lead just pulls right back out.  Cheapo pencils come out of the package that way.  So, I'd have the kids put a couple of pencils in their desk, a couple in their pencil pouch and then I'd give them a gallon sized ziplock bag with their name on it where we'd store the rest of their pencils, etc. and put them in a cabinet so they were kept in good shape.  Every couple of weeks, I'd set aside a few minutes for kids to replenish their supplies from their bag.  (And if a kid found themselves in need in the meantime, of course I'd let them get what they needed).  In the meantime, the cabinet stayed locked to prevent theft.  

Sorry, im sure that's way more than you wanted to know, but the short answer is no, just send it in.  Leave the pencils in their box, leave the paper in the wrapper, etc.  If she's in middle or high school, that might be different.  But I've taught elementary from pre-k to 5th grade and speaking for myself and the elementary teachers I know, we'd rather you leave it alone and we'll help them get it organized.  

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:33 AM
My girls stuff fit in their backpacks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Wait.

My kids school has us bring in the supplies in a big bag on open house day/night.  This way the teachers have a chance to organize desk although we but the bag on/in their desk at the open house.  The supply list the school gives out says which items need to be labeled with student's name.  They even ask the parents to do it for kids in kindergarten through 2nd grade because it all can be a bit heavy for a small child to carry.

It is stuff for the entire year, so it would not all fit in their backpacks.  My kids bring their lunch, so they keep their lunch box in the backpack(as the school requests).

mom23heathens
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM
This was helpful. My dd is going into 6th grade. The list for some of her supplies seems lacking, not meant to last a year. I buy at least quadruple what it says on some things. 6 pens? 12 pencils? I know it's different each year and in the past I would go with her and help carry but she's grown now lol. I just know I had an awful time finding the poly 2 pocket prong folders and she needed 8. I ended up paying almost $3 apiece for them so I wrote her name on them. Every store had some version of them but so cheesy, thin, flimsy pockets that looked like cellophane. I couldn't see spending a $1-1.50 on them and finally found some I liked and I squinted as I was paying for them. I always send her with 50 pencils and I packed 30 pens, they asked for 4 pkgs of paper,200 count. They don't come that way anymore but I bought 10 cases 8 yrs ago and still have 3 left so I sent 6 pkgs. She has never used the extra I send because every Friday I check her pouch and folder and replace what's needed from my home supply. I bought 20 pkgs of colored pencils so she has enough for the year. Everything is cheaper right now than in January.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure of your daughters age, but as an elementary teacher, I encourage you to wait.  Things may not go where you think they'll go.  For example, when I had older kids, I'd ask for paper, but it didn't go in the binder.  I didn't want all of their scissors and stuff in their pouch.  

And I definitely didn't want all of their pencils in their pouch getting beaten to death and ruined.  That would be a complete waste of your money.  When pencils get beaten around in a book bag or desk, the lead inside gets broken into a million little pieces, so when you sharpen them, the piece of lead just pulls right back out.  Cheapo pencils come out of the package that way.  So, I'd have the kids put a couple of pencils in their desk, a couple in their pencil pouch and then I'd give them a gallon sized ziplock bag with their name on it where we'd store the rest of their pencils, etc. and put them in a cabinet so they were kept in good shape.  Every couple of weeks, I'd set aside a few minutes for kids to replenish their supplies from their bag.  (And if a kid found themselves in need in the meantime, of course I'd let them get what they needed).  In the meantime, the cabinet stayed locked to prevent theft.  

Sorry, im sure that's way more than you wanted to know, but the short answer is no, just send it in.  Leave the pencils in their box, leave the paper in the wrapper, etc.  If she's in middle or high school, that might be different.  But I've taught elementary from pre-k to 5th grade and speaking for myself and the elementary teachers I know, we'd rather you leave it alone and we'll help them get it organized.  

lucille.bluth
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM
I'm glad we don't have to deal with this. We pay a supply fee at the beginning of the year and they take care of all supplies.
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Just ordered the teacher's choice and it shipped to her classroom. Easy peasy.

Quoting momofthem311: We order them through our school, it no hassle and it's wonderful!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)