Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Use your brain. It's metal (or plastic). It's in the sun. It's GOING TO BE HOT!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

Does it seem to you like today's kids just can't handle the things we used to do? I saw another report about a kid getting burned on a playground slide and I couldn't help but wonder why today's kids can't do the same things we did as kids without getting seriously injured? I don't know anybody who got 3rd degree burns from sliding down a hot slide. Why? Our parents taught us that stuff in the sun gets hot so be careful and check it and now parents just don't think.

What do you think? Maybe their folks are failing to teach them some common sense about playground equipment, toys, etc.?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
aurora.dove
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I think that we've grown to become a Sue happy society where people feel they can get money out of anything. If that means subjecting their child to extremely hot playground equipment where they can get injured, or toys that are meant for children much older or to be used with adult supervision but giving them none, then what's a little 3rd degree burn if they can get $20,000 out of the city because they don't warn that the playground equipment is hot when it's 100 degrees outside? Or who cares if their child chokes on the hand of a Monster High doll so long as Mattel pays them Millions for the hospital bills, pain and suffering, etc. People use their children to get away with stupid shit these days is what the issue is. 

EarlGrayHot
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I think they are kids and need supervision.  Probably kids DID get burned in our generation but our parents said "oh, just be tough" and let the poor kid suffer in pain.  So it isn't that they can't handle what we could, it's that we shouldn't have had to handle it back then!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)