Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Debt collector laws, ???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does anyone know how to find a debt collector lawyer?Low or lowest cost...a family member recieved what i believe to be to old of a debt to be able to collect by law as it is 10+ year's old. The company/debt collector has a really bad name for trying to collect debt's that are not the person's or is to old by law to be able to collect(many site's say this ect).We would like a lawyer to look into this before much longer.**This is in Washington state and very old credit card debt.The debt is over 10 + year's old.I looked up the law on it and it should be well past the time limit however he/she can not remember if another collector was ever a part of this debt...so that is why we would feel safer with having a lawyer look into it.Thanks :)

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenGo
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No idea, but here is a bump.

valkay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not think you need one call them up. Tell them you have spoken to a lawyer. . Way past the time to collect. You will start legal action against them if they bother you again.
happynewyorker
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this for you I hope it helps.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-state-statute-limitations-1282.php

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-data/credit-card-debt-statute-limitations-guide-50-states/

I know now when you owe lets say you owe at a hospital. They sell a list to the collection agency that will fight to get that money. The money isn't given to the hospital, since the insurance of the hospital writes off the money. It goes to the collection agency.

You can try looking at the local bar association for a lawyer. Many don't charge anything for the initial consultation and then you can ask your questions. At this point the lawyer will tell you his fee and you decide to hire them or not.

What you should do before is check this persons credit scores and see if any judgments or liens are on the credit report. You are allowed one free each year.  Unless you have a credit card with wal-mart of LL Bean and they provide them to you for free. 

I watch the Suze Orman show and she says that on some states, if you agree to pay the amount owed on the debit and fault on it the clock starts again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:33 AM

Thank you everyone for helping with this as i've been under alot of extra stress and didn't know where to start on this. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Usually telling them they're in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and your lawyer will be contacting them will make them stop calling.

happynewyorker
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I know a couple of years ago my husband (at the time) was receiving phone calls from a collection agency.  He said it was over 10 years old.  When they called I picked it up the phone and told them that he wasn't going to pay it.  They stopped calling.

nikki4eva88
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

If you make a payment during that time, it resets itself. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Usually you can find free form letters. You have to dispute the debit in writing and send it by certifide mail. Most of what you want to say is on the letter, (don't contact any family members, this isn't your debt, it's past your states collection status, cease all contact with you, and if it shows up on your credit report they are violating the fair credit act.. etc) They have to show proof to you in writing by X amout of days that this is your debit.

(I had an ex that put all kinds of things in my name, I had to do fraud reports and these letters)

I just googled free credit dispute letters.

Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Dent doesn't just go away after a length of time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN