Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Cardiovascular Disease.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 11 Replies
I get a call this am about 3:30 from my dad, says that he's at ER and waiting for heart surgery.... well I am here with him, he's sleeping now... they said they will go up through the leg to put in a stint...
I am scared for him... he is scared... I am killing time here on cm... noone else here with us...
Have you dealt with this too? What should I expect?
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Mother in law had triple bypass and a new valve put in last July.  She is a new person today because she changed her eating and she is 78 and goes to the gym 3 days a week.  She went to rehab for a few weeks because there was no one to take care of her and then she was back home alone.  She recovered fairly fast and built up her stamina and by later fall she was really doing well. 

Be happy it was caught.  My Dad died of a heart attack 30 years ago with zero warning. 

LyTe684
by Tasha on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM
I'm sorry. Good luck. *hugs*
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM

So sorry. I know it's hard. But the stent should help and hopefully he'll change to keep himself healthy.

20 yrs. ago this past May my FIL had a quintuple bypass. We were so scared for him. But he was a fighter by nature and was up and able to dance at our wedding at the end of July - only 2.5 months after the surgery. We had him for another 15 years before he passed at nearly 86.

Jade_Lynn
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Thank you ladies. They took him back... now I wait
Jade_Lynn
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Everyrhing went great... dad is well and recovering.
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM

((HUGS)) and prayers for your dad's recovery. He's going to have to make some real changes in his life to get healthier, though, like diet and exercise, but the doctors will talk him through that quite a bit. Like the others said, be very grateful they caught this early and were able to help him through surgery. It's not always such a happy ending.

Mums.the.word
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM
A father figure in my life had this done, he was on his feet later that day. He has 2 put in at once. He was a truck driver, and had 99% blockage on one side and,85% on the other.
He had to change a lot but with the help of his wife he did well.
DellaG
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I have no advice for you as I haven't found myself in your situation. However I am sending good thoughts and vibes your way...

-dianne244
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have gone through this.  It depends on what he can do after sometimes it takes time to get back to a normal life.   Watching what they eat,, like SALT which is a killer to the heart and kidneys.  I  found a change in his personality.  Be kind and do what you can for him

lizfnf
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I went through the same thing with my mom a little over 3 years ago. It culminated in a double bypass. She had hers done with the davinci machine and she has done wonderfully. The Stent only worked for about 6 months then she began having problems again. It is a fairly easy procedure, but there can be substantial bruising. So be prepared for that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN