Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

do you have to look it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

If someone has no money but has a cell phone, internet, or anything expensive SOME people treat them as if they are lying. 

ON THE OTHER HAND

If someone has a lot  of money but not super nice brand new clothes, shop at Walmart or thrift stores, dont have hair and nails done to look better, etc.  SOME people - mostly others with money - will look down their noses at them.  

What do you think about these?

FYI - this is a general curiosity question.  My mind has a tendency to just randomly think about different things. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

If you have money you can spend it or not spend it.  IF you don't have money you shouldn't be spending money you don't have. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

What if said person with no money had those items then lost their job and now have no money.  They are not spending money they don't hav e they spent it when they did have money lets say it is a PS4 or something. 

and if said person with money oesn;t want to spend their money - why would someone give them a look like they are stealing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If you have money you can spend it or not spend it.  IF you don't have money you shouldn't be spending money you don't have. 

DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I don't judge.

We do not have much money, we're not on PA or any of that just a really tight budget.  We have the internet, smart phones, really nice laptops, a nice tablet, video game systems etc.  We buy used and refurbished, our phones are metroPCS which is very affordable, and most of fun extras are earned by using sites like Swagbucks and Bing Rewards.  We also save by using Netflix and Hulu (also earned with reward points) and the YouTube app instead of cable.  Being thrifty allows you to have the things that some think you shouldn't be able to afford.  Hell I just bought a leather Chanel purse at Salvation Army for 2.99 this week.  I could NEVER afford that normally.

Since I know that I'll be called out on that:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:29 AM
Well, I can relate to this one. When I was working SO & I had some extra money to treat ourselves. Now I got laid off due to company restructuring and SO's is paying for the bills now. It suck being broke and no luck with job hunting. I got few interview here and there, guess I'm not the best candidate. Since no luck with job, I applied for FS. I know people will judge if they see me with iPhone or nice stuff that I bought before when I had a job and without PA help.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

What if said person with no money had those items then lost their job and now have no money.  They are not spending money they don't hav e they spent it when they did have money lets say it is a PS4 or something. 

and if said person with money oesn;t want to spend their money - why would someone give them a look like they are stealing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

GertieK
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

If you are struggling now, after losing a job - it isn't what you have or don't have that bothers most people.  It is the attitude that gets to them.  There is an automatic assumption that it is the government's responsibility to save you from struggling.  If you can hang on to your goodies, and pull yourself back out of the ditch - good for you.  But if you want to hang on to them while expecting to be supported by the rest of us,.... well, that's a different story.  The reality is, most of the poorest of Americans have little concept of true poverty.  When you claim to be destitute, and are teling people about it on your smart phone, and watching your large screen TV while waiting for your check and food stamps to come in - I just don't see that as poverty.  Real poverty is very different.  It goes back to attitude, and the mistaken belief that we are entitled to have those luxuries.  If you have the money, and choose to not spend it, that is your business - and as far as I am concerned - a smart decision. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Very well said. 

Quoting GertieK:

If you are struggling now, after losing a job - it isn't what you have or don't have that bothers most people.  It is the attitude that gets to them.  There is an automatic assumption that it is the government's responsibility to save you from struggling.  If you can hang on to your goodies, and pull yourself back out of the ditch - good for you.  But if you want to hang on to them while expecting to be supported by the rest of us,.... well, that's a different story.  The reality is, most of the poorest of Americans have little concept of true poverty.  When you claim to be destitute, and are teling people about it on your smart phone, and watching your large screen TV while waiting for your check and food stamps to come in - I just don't see that as poverty.  Real poverty is very different.  It goes back to attitude, and the mistaken belief that we are entitled to have those luxuries.  If you have the money, and choose to not spend it, that is your business - and as far as I am concerned - a smart decision. 

elkmomma
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I try not to judge, especially random people I don't know.  I do tend to be judgy a bit towards those I do know, since I know the circumstances they are in.

Velvetfog
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I find both a little sad, a little funny and a bit repugnant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:11 AM
This is where I am at now. I was working a decent job, could pay all my bills plus my sons needs without child support. Then my health got in the way, now I'm on PA and planning on getting off soon. I don't own anything including a flat screen tv, computer of any kind, my tablet is broken, my blu ray player is also broken both work but no pawn shop will take them (I tried), I own a two year old smart phone that did have working service till I stopped working. I use my neighbors internet with permission, I don't have cable, internet (obviously), phone, I have the very basics power, water, a roof over our head, and food. I don't even own a car, I take the bus when I can, ask for rides from family, or walk. When you come into my house I look like I have a life but that's because before when I had the money I did.

Quoting GertieK:

SpiritFortress
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I don't usually concern myself with whether or not others "look the part". No one knows what my bank account looks like and I'm sure some people I know wonder because sometimes my lifestyle goes from one extreme to the other. But that's my business. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)