Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Kids and toy guns?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies

I know I will get a lot of 'boys will use sticks as guns, it's just what they do' responses but I wondered if there were any other parents here who have successfully managed to at least keep toy guns out of their houses?

My DS (almost 4) has already started making shooting actions, talking about 'good shot' and mentioned 'killing monsters with guns' which I know he has picked up from nursery and my DHs tendency to let him watch slightly unsuitable cartoons (scooby doo, super ted).

I have tried explaining that guns are just not nice things to have but clearly it's all just a game to DS.

Was quite aghast at his similar aged cousin threatening to shoot my DS this week. 

Anyone been able to successfully keep guns away from their kids (boys I suppose) even after they have started school?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:45 AM
8 moms liked this
I see no reason to. I had toy guns as a kid, and I still have a wooden toy rifle that my grandpa got me as a child that I am giving to my son. My son has an arsenal of nerf and noise-making toy guns that he enjoys playing with. We are not teaching him that guns are bad. He knows that real guns can be dangerous. When he is old enough, he will be taught gun safety courses and how to use a gun responsibly while hunting.
lapcounter
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM
5 moms liked this
My girls have real and toy guns, we hunt and shoot clay. They are taught gun safety and what isn't appropriate to say and do. I don't see a reason to keep them a way, curiosity is what gets kids hurt and killed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrisKingston
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
We tried with the whole no guns thing. I was quickly over ruled when my DS's BF started watching Star Wars cartoons. It quickly became lightsabers and guns. My DS understands that the purpose of guns is to kill so he only shoots at imaginary "bad guys" never his friends. My hubby loves that I caved in this one! Sigh good luck though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM
I did. I have a boy and i refused to let him play with any toy guns. And i can say that he has never owned any. Of course children at school go bang bang and he has played guns and robbers. Pissed after my hard work. I eventually brought him a water gun. It is hard after they start school. But a water gun isnt the same to me as a regular toy gun. And still has none that DONT shoot water. So guess i did gd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM
DH has guns, and on occasion carries concealed. With them in the house, we've made sure to talk to our oldest, he's 4, about guns, that they aren't toys, and he's been with dh to the shooting range, though he hasn't shot one yet. We don't have toy guns in the house, and we discuss how serious guns are any time it comes up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

we dont have toy guns because we have real ones.  a lot of toy guns are so realistic looking, i dont want them getting confused and thinking its okay to point a gun at someones head because they are playing. 

we spend a a lot of time talking about guns whenever they are outside of the gun safe.  they are not toys and shouldnt be handled as such.

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM
My dh won't let my kids play with guns. He has a good reason too. When dh was 7 his mom shots and killed his dad infront of him and his bro and sis.
GertieK
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM
4 moms liked this

Heavenly days - give the kid a toy gun.  Teaching kids that guns are bad is just feeding the monster that is trying to take guns away from law-abiding people.  Guns are not bad.  Teaching kids that guns have a purpose and are a responsibility is important.  And quite frankly, the next year is going to be a history maker for our nation.  I truly believe that those who have looked down their noses at those of us who believe in the 2nd ammendment, who own guns and have taught our children how to safely handle them will be in a pickle.  Self defense is important, and a child that grows up believing that guns are bad and to be afraid of them will not have nthe capability of taking care of theselves that they could have had.

AHmom103
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls both have a lot of toy guns. My 6 year old even has a bb gun. We prefer to teach gun safety than gun avoidance. In our community, it's pretty much impossible to avoid guns. Almost everyone owns at least one, most of the men around here hunt. We own 7 rifles and 2 handguns ourselves, although not all of them are kept at our house. Both of our daughters know they are to never touch a real gun, unless they are having shooting practice with their father, one of their grandfathers, or me. They also know how to hold and carry a rifle, and how to make sure their safety is on. They know to make sure the safety is on at all times until they are ready to shoot their target.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM

My son's have toy hunting rifles, they use them to hunt dinosaurs, lo. I'm not a fan of toy guns but DH purchased them and the compromise we made was as long as they didn't shoot people. We also talk gun safety with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)